News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Getting back into this

Hi Gents...

Checking out my old sources and collecting chums, I was directed at this website forum...and I am truly impressed. Wow - I have been missing out. I collect Soviet and American medals, but my "roots" are with collecting iron crosses, and I wish to get back into the hobby again.

Along those lines, I have never owned an 1813 cross, and I hope to pursue a purchase this year (2nd class!!). Most of my crosses are from the later eras. I know Detlev carries them from time to time, but I was wondering if anyone else has a recommended seller? I am not sure who reputably deals with 1813 crosses these days.

Since I have collected crosses in a while - I not only assume the items are being heavily faked, but I am going to go out on a limb and assume the number of folks that participate in that nefarious tradecraft have increased !

Welcome aboard and welcome back to the hobby.. er... 'zook'...!

1813 Ek2's do appear occaisionally - if you are quick (the auction starts tomorrow) Andreas Thies has an OBSCENE amount of great looking Imperial Ek's in this months auction... including 3 or 4 1813 EK2's and an EK1.

Even with the ugly 20% commision, I would suggest that this is still the most cost effective way to buy one you can be certain of. Otherwise, Niemann or Wietze are well worth watching.

If I see a good one offered, I will post the link to it here for you. Expect to pay Euro 1200 - 1800 from these guys.

regards

Marshall

Greg, Marshall and Glenn..

Thanks for the welcome and the notes!

I look forward to learning and contributing! -

Marshall - I took your advice and checked out the "Andreas Thies" pending auction....WOW.

I must admit I was not familiar with his sale, and I was COMPLETELY overwhelmed by the volume and

rarety of some of the items.

Wietze's site - I noticed he has an 1813 EK2 for sale, but it "seems" pricey (2,000 EUROS) ...especially for the condition... am I off base on that comment? .. or is there something special about that cross that I am not picking up on? I was figuring I could wait and find a nice period piece more along the price range that you mentioned in your post.

Anyway, what a great forum, I look forward to learning a lot and participating in some great exchanges.

I may "disappear from the net" for a spell during this summer, as I am active military and have one more obligation before retirement - other than that, I look forward to this site!

Regards, Dan