News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Simon, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Luftwaffe Observer badge is a well known fake....

These fakes were produced by casting parts from various makers and putting them together.

If you look at the badge you will see that the eagle is a copy of an F.W Assmann type, the wreath is a copy of a wreath by C.E Juncker...no such collaboration existed.

I would suggest that you post individual photo's of each piece (front and back) so that members can give a more informative opinion.

In particular, I would like to see some photo's of the Paratrooper badge.

Below is an example of a period 2nd pattern Observer badge by the firm of F.W Assmann so that you can do a comparison.

1117761062_Ass2ndpatobs.thumb.jpg.e2de5dd1fe510b79688618d1c7455989.jpg

Thank, mate. You're right. I never was fully sure is it original. Nice to speak with experts. My paratrooper badge is from Steinhauer und Lueck. I have certificate for that one. Just see my movie on YouTube. It's in polish but badge is very visible. I make comparison to the copy. 

Best regards. You are very kind. 

Simon

Edited by Simon Gornowicz

Hi, Simon

Steinhauer & Lück and its wartime Vs post-war production can be an extremely frustrating subject as, as mentioned, the firm continued to produce badges after the wars end, it is thought to fill a demand for mementos by allied troops returning home. They were then involved in the production of the 1957 series of awards/badges.

When it comes to determining wartime production from post-war (or fake) many factors come into play.  As collectors, research is paramount, as is the need to handle as many original badges as possible…in this way, manufacturing processes, materials used, finishing, methods of assembly (rivets/hinges/pins and catches) will hopefully become second nature.

Where the problem arises, with S&L, is the fact that many original parts were used during their post-war production….so collectors have to delve deeper and base opinions on the characteristics of known wartime originals….examples that have provenance, for example.

Without going into too much detail, as that would take the best part of a book, and there are some very good reference works out there, I will point to one characteristic that leans me toward your badge being of post-war production. Wartime examples of the S&L Para badge generally had domed of flattened rivets, your badge has hollow rivets…something not found on wartime originals, but are found on early examples of the 1957 series.

This, of course, is only an opinion, others may have different thoughts…but this is the problem we collectors face when it comes to Steinhauer & Lück and its prolonged production.

Thank you very much. I appreciate strongly such great and kind comment. I see I speak with an expert. Very good!

I bought it from eMedals. I have also the certificate from them. So I believe it's from the war. But the fact is I have also a book of Stephan Previtera German Luftwaffe Badges. volume 2. And there are lot's of high quality pictures of many badges and valuable info's. Interesting is Previtera say that S&L wasn't in his opinion a maker of Paratrooper Badge. So that was strange for me. But eMedals is a very good supplier from other side.

https://www.emedals.com/a-luftwaffe-paratrooper-badge-by-steinhauer-luck

Simon, I understand that a lot of collectors rely on dealers to supply totally original items, but this is not always the case....mistakes are  made in any collecting field, especially when there is money involved.

The particular dealer that you purchased this badge from has a good reputation but does make mistakes, as everyone in this collecting field does, this is why I urge collectors to do their research into their particular field of interest....in other words, get to know your hobby so that you rely on your own experience.

As an example, I picked a random item from this dealers' site and found that this item was sold for $220.00.... It is a well known fake.

I was told, many years ago, by an expert in his field..."A person can never know everything about everything...get to know your field of interest through research, research, research...if you want to widen your field of interest....research, research, research.

So, the random item that I came across is below....If you would like me to post an original of this item for comparison, let me know.

dak_cuff_fake.jpg.2f9279a6ecaf2cbb2d54c6001ea324af.jpg