News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A tribute

Hauptmann

Hi all,

I'm gonna kind of work my way into this one.

First off... something most would probably not give a second thought if they saw it out for sale somewhere.

IPB Image

Common as dirt as far as I know. Nothing fancy. Shoot, I've seen folks on Ebay try to sell them as IC's. :lol:

But to me it's important and I would not sell it for love or money.

Here's a bit more:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Again, as far as I know, common as dirt Tech. Sgt. Stripes... right? Again, I'd never sell them... wouldn't even trade them for a Roll's Royce... even though that would be an awful strong temptation. And as you'll see later... these represented a promotion for the individual concerned.

Edited by Hauptman

Okay... let's move on to some of the things this individual brought back... this may excite some folks a little more... some of the things more than others.

first off... an Army dagger:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now, if this was like in pristine mint condition, or had belonged to some famous individual then it might be something to write home about. As is, in this condition it probably wouldn't excite too many dagger collectors and most would likely pass it by.

But again, I simply would take no offers no matter how large. Offer me gold, platinum, precious gems... no way! :D

Okay... so perhaps some of you are getting a little bored... :sleep: when's the good stuff coming. Well, I hope this is a bit of a pick me up. I've never seen another although I've seen alot of optics. It also took me forever and a day to find a photo that showed this in place.

They're the optics from a German 88mm Flak / Field Gun. And yes, they still work just fine... all I need is the 88mm... anybody got one for cheap? :rolleyes:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by Hauptman

IPB Image

I happened to find the shot from the documentary of what I believe is this optic in use. Sorry for the quality but it was taken by my digital camera straight off the television.

IPB Image

Now I'm hoping perhaps this is one that has not been posted here before and is not all that common. I'm hoping I get comments and perhaps even some info, some pics of it in use on the gun, etc. Wouldn't even be shy about offers... cause I've no idea what any of this is worth, especially this... but there's not a chance of me selling it for all the money in the universe!

Cause to me... all of this is absolutely priceless, cream of the crop! :D

And why, you ask is all this stuff... obviously not in the greatest of shape... worth so much... why is it so important to me? Why would I turn down any and all offers? :rolleyes:

Because of this man:

IPB Image

John (Jack) Mowbray Burns Jr. My uncle... my mom's brother. One of several relatives Kim and I have between us who have served in every conflict from the Revolution on up. And we suspect some on the German side as well as we both have relatives over there although we sadly don't know who they are... yet! :rolleyes: Yet another hobby of mine... genealogy.

From what I can tell from his uniform insignia and patches here's what I know... please feel free to correct me on any of this as I'm not an expert on U.S. and am depending on my references here:

17th Infantry Division "Thunder From Heaven". The Division participated in the Rhine Crossing in WWII.

So seems he was in the airborne... at least by the patch on his shoulder.

Both my mom's brothers served... my uncle George (George Donald Burns) who started out in the infantry and then transferred and became a cook... and a darned good one. I can assure you any of the troops who had him as their cook ate every well indeed.

Neither of them ever spoke much about the war. Jack had told his mom... my grandmom of course, who later told me, that during the war... in the middle of the Bulge (yes, that's right... he was in the Battle of the Bulge), they were bringing in vehicles filled with the wounded in order to get them fixed up and get them moving again. As he'd work under the trucks blood would drip down on him through the floor boards. He had nightmares about that I'm sure. :(

As part of his duties he drove a wrecker and would go out in the field to retreive wrecked or damaged vehicles for repair or use for parts. On a few of these excursions he did some souvenir hunting (why he didn't go for something rare like Hitler's toothbrush I'll never know) and as he had the tools and the know how he managed to retrieve this set of optics from an 88mm as well as a German tank.

A few months before he passed on... and knowing he had cancer and only had so much time left he suddenly opened up to me, my wife and my mom one day when we were down visiting him in Perry Florida. He brought out his photo album which chronicled his military time from training on till the end of the war and his return home.

He had pictures of the 88 and the tank he removed these optics from. There may have even been some from when he retrieved the daggers although I don't remember as I was too mesmerized by his tales from those days.

Sadly I did not have a tape deck with me... :banger: but oh how I wish I had.

Also, sadly, he kept the tank optic as they were moving to a lake and he wanted to use it to see across the water. He also kept the album... but he told me both would be left to me when he passed on. I said sadly because my aunt... never close to any of us, never passed these along to me and has dropped off the radar. We've tried to contact her with no success.

Lord knows they probably ended up in a Goodwill or a dumpster. :angry: Priceless family history gone, but never forgotten.

But I'm extremely thankful for what I have... and mindful of the sacrifices he and so many others made in order to do what they did and for me to be around to talk about it in this wonderful free country of ours.

So to all those fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, husbands and wives who served and the many who gave their all... I say a very humble thank you! That comes from the bottom of my heart. I'm proud of each and every one of you as I know all of you here are.

I only wish I could still talk with George and Jack. I only wish they'd opened up sooner... George never did. I wish they'd left more of their memories and experiences.

But I'm ever so proud of what they did and glad that they made it back to tell the tale.

I miss you both so much and hope you know how much I and we all appreciate everything you and your generation did, for us and for the world.

May you both rest in peace. This ones for you! :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

Guest Darrell

Great story Dan,

Thanks for sharing :beer:

As far as the 88 Optics ... can't say I ever have or ever will see one again. I would imagine these are a fairly rare item to be sure.

Very nice :cheers:

Hi Darrell,

Glad you could stop by and very glad you enjoyed the post. I hope it's a fitting tribute to my uncles, but especially Jack as he lives on in these things every time I see them in my bunker. :D

I'd absolutely love to know more on the 88mm optics. I even wrote to them at the proving grounds hoping they'd be able to snap some pics of one of theirs and perhaps they'd have some additional info. Sadly they gave me the typical gov't brush off... no time, not enough staff, not enough money... not enough, not enough, not enough! Seems we're always sending them tons of our money via taxes and yet they never ever seem to have enough to help us out when needed. :(

Sigh.

I managed to find a shot of one on the gun in a documentary... Geez I hope I made a note of it on my catalog... well over 2,000 tapes in my collection. It was a shot of it being readied, fired and then went to other things. Thank goodness for slow motion as otherwise I'd have never caught it.

But it's amazing... in books they always show them from the other side or so far away or unclear as to not show the optics. But the one in the clip was right on the money.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that more folks will stop by and perhaps have some things to pass on about it.

I'll tell you this... it's a heavy sucker... not likely to be used for bird watching! :P

Thanks again, :D

Dan

Hi all,

This is a bit late in getting here but had to put it in. Not a nice, perfect, parade ground example of the dress bayo but obviously one that's seen some action. And to me, one of the best parts, (other than my uncle bringing it back) as I'm also a non-military (as well as military) blade collector... it's a PUMA! :jumping::jumping::D

IPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

Thanks for looking. :cheers:

Dan

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the visit and the compliment. :D I do hope my uncle would have liked it. Just wish I had his album to really spice it up a bit. Really upsets me that the photo record of what was most likely the biggest events of his life is not lost to the family. :banger:

If I could recommend "one" thing to my fellow members, it is this. Please, please, please, please... :jumping: make absolutely sure that if you want any or all of your collections passed down in your family... that you "immediately" take the proper steps be they wills, living wills or whatever other documents are required where you reside and that all concerned as well as an attorney and a safe or safety deposit box all have appropriate "legal, official" copies of same! And communicate to those who would be handling your affairs should the worst happen :speechless1: what your wishes are.

I got slammed several times over. The rest of my uncles stuff, which of all of it the photo album was the absolute treasure. And my father's collections which were many, varied and lets just say worth a good bit. The latter was meaningless to me as I'd never have sold any of it. Long story short, due to neither of them taking these proper precautions my uncles record of his service time and my father's lifetime collections all are lost to the family. :angry:

Please, don't let the same thing happen to you and yours. :shame: If I can save "one" person from going through what I have in this regard then it will be worth it. :beer:

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Thanks for the story Dan!

I echo your sentiments!

I have some momentoes of both my Grandfathers and one Great grandfather...and would NEVER sell them!

I have the photos and medals framed for all to see and enjoy!

yes will endeavour to pass on to my progeny...as soon as they materialize..one on the way now!

great stuff!

Regards

Paul