News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two russian awards - need help

Uffz. Rohleder

Military Cross of Merit of the Order of Saint George 3 rd class no 156207

and

Medal ,, For Zeal" or another ,, For Scrupulousness"

both Nicolaus II period and both for privates and NCO, both in silver of course

- nice condition !

regards

Prem

Edited by PREM

On 19/09/2019 at 08:16, Uffz. Rohleder said:

Thank you very much. 

Is there anyone i can contact to find out recipient of the cross? 

There is a book, printed in Russian language of course, that lists the recipients of the George Crosses by serial number.  It's a bit hard to find and probably expensive.  But, some who own the book will help with names, units and dates if you find the thread on the right Russian militaria forum.  Oh, and a lot of the information is lost so don't expect too much.

> I got the books. Unfortunately i could just narrow down a possible date. But its nice to have a list for all those numbers.

Yeah, I got the same unhappy notice on my two GC4s.  What date area did you end up with?  Just a wild guess; 1915/'16?  BTW, the 'Soviets' sent batches of serial numbered awards out to different units at different times and I think they followed what the Imperial Russians did.  So if you find your number close to a few others they might been in the same brigade or regiment (more doubtful) or in the same division or corps (more likely).

On 22/09/2019 at 23:42, Eric Gaumann said:

> I got the books. Unfortunately i could just narrow down a possible date. But its nice to have a list for all those numbers.

Yeah, I got the same unhappy notice on my two GC4s.  What date area did you end up with?  Just a wild guess; 1915/'16?  BTW, the 'Soviets' sent batches of serial numbered awards out to different units at different times and I think they followed what the Imperial Russians did.  So if you find your number close to a few others they might been in the same brigade or regiment (more doubtful) or in the same division or corps (more likely).

The Cross with the number 156202 was awarded on august 21 1916. Looks like there were a bigger battle / attack since they awarded a few st. George crosses that day in that area. 

On 23/09/2019 at 08:20, Egorka said:

For the St. george cross the name is, unfortunately, not identifiable.  

Yes to bad. But im happy the cross is real.