News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Opinions on Soviet Grouping

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Hi Guys .... whatcha think of this one? Everything look okie dokie?

Edited by Darrell

So you are the one who bought it? :love:

This is a dream group for me. :love:

One day ...

Perhaps I'm jaded (that's actually probable...) but for the money, I'd contemplate changing my dreams to another group. This one is nice, but I think that you can find better for lesser money, unless you REALLY want the #3 Red Banner, as that drives up the price considerably. The Nevsky is nice, the two Red Banners are nice, the photo in the book is nice, but in my personal opinion, if you are to spend your life savings on a single group, this isn't the one.

Just my two cents - and I am certain that many would disagree with me on my thoughts. :cool:

Dave

Continuing with my thought in my previous post, here's a group that would be valued somewhere around $1500 less than the group to Kulishenko. Still with a Nevsky, two Red Banners, and Red Star, none of which are long service awards. In addition, he was a Stalingrad to Berlin veteran and all of the medals have their documents. The only drawback is that the group doesn't have a photo of the recipient, but that's it. For my money, this would be a "dream" group if you just had to have a single Nevsky/Red Banner combat group.

Dave

And another... This one was sold on eBay about six months ago to the same dealer who sold the Kulishenko group. This is another that would run about $1000 less than Kulishenko, but still has the double Red Banner (consecutive serial numbers, no less!) and a Nevsky - all for combat valor. Sorry for the dark photo, but this was the only photo I had of the whole group together when it was in my collection.

Dave

Darrell,

All I can say is WOW!!! :jumping: You have a GREAT group there!! Research, :jumping: Research :jumping: , Research!!! :jumping:

Doc

by the way, the research was done long ago on the group. It was misplaced somehow by the seller, but luckily I had a copy of the research which has been forwarded on to the new owner of the group.

Dave

Guest Darrell

Well, as I'm sure everyone is aware ... I'm NOT the proud owner of this group :( It was one that I thought was rather interesting. It shouldn't surprise me that Dave once owned it, a great addition to one's collection :beer: Whoever owns it now .... congrats :cheers:

Now that I'm home, here are a couple citations that came with the group. Unfortunately, I cannot find the translations that I did of the research, and I just sent off the research for the group about two weeks ago to the new owner, so I can't scan that either. But, here are two citations I have from the group that were done before I bought it and that I scanned. I've trimmed them tight to not be a huge file... I hope they're readable!

Dave

Now for some more fun, here's my "sales pitch" from my website when I sold the group. I don't remember what year I sold it, but I believe it was either late 2003, or early 2004 when it was sold. Note the price! :speechless:

This is an exceptional Berlin valor group to a Lieutenant Colonel! This group belonged to Colonel Yakov Trofimovich Kravchenko, Commander, 878th Odessa, Order of the Red Banner, Order of Suvorov 3rd Class, Army Air Defense Regiment, and consists of the following:

Order of the Red Banner 127731

Order of the Red Banner 192044

Order of the Red Banner "3" 9074

Order of Nevsky 31005

Order of the Red Star 2880470

Medal For Military Merit 197938

Medal For Military Merit 1503778

Medals (without documents):

Victory Over Germany

Liberation of Warsaw

Capture of Berlin

The group is complete, no numbered award is missing!

All of the awards are included in a wartime order book that includes a photo of the recipient in dress uniform, wearing his two Red Banners, two Military Merit medals and Nevsky order, as well as the three medals. The photo bears the stamp of the 1st Guards Tank Army!

Preliminary research has been done in on the group for both his Nevsky and first Red Banner. His citations are exceptional!

His Red Banner was awarded in July 1944 for being one of the first to cross the Bug River, then defending the crossing against enemy air raids, as well as destroying enemy ground firing positions! During the landings, his Regiment shot down 75 enemy aircraft! (WOW!)

His Nevsky was awarded for the assault on Berlin. He supported the crossing of the Oder River, and on 16 April 1945, he destroyed massed air attacks against the headquarters of the 8th Guards Army! During these raids, his unit shot down 44 enemy aircraft!

The group comes with research from the Archives of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation, which includes citations for his Nevsky and one Red Banner. His other citations and personnel file have been requested. They will be offered to the buyer at cost upon their completion.

This is a GREAT group for both combat citations and the Berlin campaign!!!

$975