News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gendarmerie mobile Albanaise 1916-18 ?

Any photos of the Gendarmerie mobile Albanaise 1916-18, which was raised by the French in the 'Republic of Korce' , SE Albania ?

According to Gregor Marchal a French author who has an interest in the French presence in Albania, the GMA had khaki uniforms.

Hello, The theme of the French presence in Albania between 1916 and 1920 is the history of the Republic of Korce or Kortcha named for the Homonym city in south east Albania, main city of the Korce district or Kaza . The French established there a Republic under tutelage supported by French Army units from the Armee de Orient and raised a Gendarmerie Mobile Albanoise , of about six hundred men . with French and Albanian officers . regarding the uniform weared, being the Albanian Gendarmerie raised by the French surely it was equipped with uniforms of the French Gendarmerie Nationale . from september of 1916 onwards the Gendarmerie begins to wear uniforms Bleu horizon ,retaining the badges of the old uniform of peacetime. The Gendarmerie of Algeria and Morocco apart of the Blue uniform was authorized to use a Khaki uniform ,perhaps the Albanians were equiped with this type of uniforms . interesting is the speculation about the head dress . kepis or fez ? probably both due to the fact that the Korce population was mostly muslim ,84000 of a total of 132 000 inhabitants

Hello Dave and Bayern,

I am happy for the information that I'm getting from you and the help I can give back. I am posting here a couple of pictures from my archive regarding the albanians on the French army. I require your help to define their uniform.

I would also appreciate if you could offer information over this topic.

Regards,

Zaim

M15 Franca 1.jpg

M15 Franca 4.jpg

M15 Franca 10.jpg

M15 Fr1.jpg

M15 Franca 7 1916.jpg

Hello, that appears as if a mix of uniforms was used the two men in the first pic wears what looks as khaki Fre.nch Army tunics and breeches with a Serbian style cap , both wear the fourragere typical of the French and other Gendarmeries. one man wears two bands of braid over the cap the other nothing , the man on the right wears three stripes of braid over the SBs . both dont wear the regular French Gendarmerie badges of rank for officers and NCOs . The Group of men in the other pic wears uniforms of bleu Horizon but with serbian style caps or white albanian fez in one case .the apparently French officer on the first place of the pic wears a mix of pieces of uniform . a light blue and red kepi ,a khaki tunic and khaki breeches ,perhaps he is a officer of the 4th regiment of Chasseurs d Afrique , a Cavalry unit detached to Korce. On the back of the pic the volunteers apparently wears civilian clothes with only the cap as common distinctive. the last pic shows a officer or more probably a First Sargeant

Thankyou Bayern and Zaim for replying and sharing your information and photos.

Just looking at the wiki entry for the Republic of Korce and it mentions that the French raised some police, locally armed volunteers in addition to the gendarmerie.

Looking at the photos, the text of the 3rd one says they are gendarmerie, and I would say the 1st photo shows gendarmes.

2nd photo, as the uniformed men only have pistols, perhaps they are the police.The armed men behind all have a type of side cap with piping/braid around the sides, i think these may be the armed volunteers.

Last photo, i can see part of an nco arm stripe, perhaps a French nco attached to the police or gendarmerie.

Challenge AZ ZALO Chaquir fusille albanais de la premiere guerre mondiale. as I wrote enter in Internet and you can find some info regarding the Gendarmerie Albanoise . the article is about the Court Martial carried against a Albanian gendarm with the rank of first sargeant .