News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Orders of GUYANA

Hello Gentlemen,

I was recently in a short City Trip to Sofia, I knew their Military History Museum was great, and I spend 2 and half hours taking photo of almost all Orders. Incl the Awards of Todor Jivkov, who was President of Bulgaria from 1971 till 9 November 1989.

He was, among many others Awards, awarded the Order of Excellence of Guyana : O.E. ( Post Nominal letters ).

Colours on center of breast star awarded to Todor Jivkov seems to have faded away, more than on the breast star posted by Megan, who started another post on ODM of Guyana.. If Megan could tell us, who the set she post the photo was awarded to, it would be great. I know in one of the Spink Promotional Catalogue from the 1980ies, there was a photo of an Order of Excellence set.

I did tried to reply on the post started by Megan, but whatever from my PC or from my Laptop, it seems the follow was broken.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Guyana Order of Excellence Set of Todor Jivkov medium size file.jpeg

Guyana Order of Excellence of Todor Jivkov Sash Badge medium size file.jpeg

Guyana order of Excellence Breast Star of Todor Jivkov medium size file.jpeg

Edited by heusy68

Among recipient of Order of Excellence of Guyana, are (were)

US President Jimmy Carter in 1993 ( Honorary ) (for his critical role in the return of electoral democracy in Guyana)

http://guyanachronicle.com/2018/07/24/president-carter-was-awarded-order-of-excellence 

Bulgaria President Todor Jivkov, President of Bulgaria from 1971 to November 1989

Ghana President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo ( 11 June 2019 )

https://motp.gov.gy/index.php/3625-ghanaian-president-conferred-with-order-of-excellence-at-state-luncheon-held-in-honour-of-visit  

https://dpi.gov.gy/ghanaian-president-conferred-with-highest-national-award/

The photo below is the 11 June 2019 ceremony of award of Order of Excellence to President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo of Ghana, by Guyana President David Granger.

In Year 2001, I had printed on paper the content of www.guyanaguide.com/orders.html it seems this link is now broken, but list the list of person who were awarded Order of Excellence of Guyana from 1970 to 2000.

Between 2002 & 2011 there was no award of Order of Excellence given.

Todor Jivkov should have been in this list, but he's not, so there might be others recipient.

Regards to All.

Emmanuel

Guyana Order of Excellence List of Awards in Year 2001.jpg

Guyana Order of Excellence to Ghana President 11 June 2019.jpg

Edited by heusy68

To be able to compare side by side, here is the breast star of Order of Excellence of Guyana ( photo from Megan Post in 2013 ), and the breast star of Order of Excellence of Guyana, from the group of Awards to Todor Jivkov, on display in Military History Museum in Sofia.

It is clear that on the breast star belonged to Todor Jivkov, colours of centers have faded away, despite being (now) in a dark room, without any direct light from the sun.

If Megan could confirm from which source she had got her photo, that would be great.

Regards to all.

Eammnuel

Guyana Order of Excellence.jpg

Guyana Order of Excellence Breast Star of Todor Jivkov medium size file.jpeg

In 1976, Guyana established a second Order, the Order of Roraima : O.R., in honour of a famous mountain which is at the border of Venezuela, Brazil & Guyana.

This Order is limited to 35 recipient.

As you can see, it was NOT manufactured by Spink, but was made locally. For those who like facts, it is 65 millimeters in diameter, and 76 grammes heavy. The ribbon is 50 millimeters wide : Green 13 millimeters, Red 5 millimeters, Yellow 14 millimeters, Red 5 millimeters, Green 13 millimeters.

It is not made of silver, but well locally made of embossed gilded metal

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Guyana Order of Roraima with ribbon.jpg

Guyana Order of Roraima obverse.jpg

Guyana Order of Roraima obverse close up.jpg

Guyana Order of Roraima side.jpg

Guyana Order of Roraima reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

For about 20 Years, source have refered the Order of Roraima, as to be hung from an asymetric ribbon. This error was due to the too small, and not so nice photo on guyanaguide.com . But for very long time, this was the onliest photo available. On the photo, you can clearly see, the ribbon is bented. in suspension loop.

Emmanuel

Guyana Order of Roraima from Guyana web site.jpg

Here are some photo of recent Awards of Order of Roraima by Guyana President David Granger.

The first photo to Brazil Minister of External (sic) Affair Mauro Luiz Iecker Veira on 2 March 2016

The second photo to Barbados Prime Minister Freundel Stuart on 25 May 2016

There shall be others Awards.

I know what every body will object : ribbon are different. Yes, ribbon are different, but maybe, they made a mistake at the Chancellery, because it seems the Roraima Order awarded to the Brazil Minister of External Affair is the ribbon of the Cacique Crown of Honour (a lesser award from Guyana).

I also post a list that I print from guyanaguide in 2001, from the person, who in 2000 had been awarded the Order of Roraima.

Regards to all

Emmanuel

Guyana Order of Roraima awarded to Mauro Luiz Iecker Veira Brazil Minister External Affair by President David Granger on 2 March 2016.jpg

Guyana Order of Roraima awarded to Freundel Stuart PM of Barbados on 25 May 2016.jpg

Guyana Order of Roraima List of Awards in 2000.jpg

Edited by heusy68

The Order of Roraima, got his name to tribute to Mount Roraima, at the borders of Venezuela, Brazil & Guyana.

Mount Roraima, stands at 2810 meters, about 2200 meters above the Amazonia Forest.

Arthur Conan Doyle wrote "The Lost World" about Mount Roraima, and the possibility that prehistoric life form had survived there. We now know, it's not the case. But a nice novel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Roraima 

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Guyana Mount Roraima 2.jpg

Guyana Mount Roraima 1.jpg

Guyana Mount Roraima 3.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Next to the Order of Excellence & Order of Roraima, is the Cacique Crown of Valour : C.C.V.

It is Guyana award for Gallantry. It is similar in shape to the Cacique Crown of Honour (which is a civilian award). Just on reverse is the word VALOUR, and ribbon is different of course.

It was manufactured by Spink of London, in silver-gilt & enamel. It's 46 millimeters in diameter, and weight is 53 grammes.

Yet ONLY 1 award was ever made, in 1969 ( so I assume retroactively ), to Major Roland da Silva ( Operation Climax from January to August 1969 ).

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Guyana Cacique Crown of Valour obverse.jpg

Guyana Cacique Crown of Valour obverse close up.jpg

Guyana Cacique Crown of Valour reverse.jpg

Guyana Cacique Crown of Valour.jpg

Edited by heusy68

The Cacique Crown of Honour is a civilian award : C.C.H.

A recent award had been made on October 2016 to businessman Inderjeet Beharry.

Dimension & manufacture details, are same than for Cacique Crown of Valour,

If any one has a Cacique Crown of Honour for sale, just drop me a message.

Regards to All.

Emmanuel

Guyana Cacique Crown of Honour obverse.jpg

Guyana Cacique Crown of Honour reverse.jpg

Guyana Cacique Crown of Honour to Businessman Inderjeet Beharry 6 October 2016.jpg

2 hours ago, 922F said:

Emmanuel didn't Nelson Mandela receive the Order of Excellence of Guyana in 2006 or thereabouts?  

I have searched for 1 hour now. I found no data on the web. Incl in the official web site related to Nelson Mandela.

That does not mean that Nelson Mandela did not get the Order of Excellence of Guyana, but I do not found evidence.

In the meantime, while searching, I found reference with photo (but Getty Image credit), that Brazil President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was awarded Order of Excellence of Guyana on 25 November 2010, in a ceremony in Georgetown.

Emmanuel

• 3 months later...

Hello Gentlemen,

It seems there is a version of the Order of Roraima, that had been produced by Spink (at least not locally manufactured).

Ed Emering shall be credited to have sourced this photo.

Regards.

Emmanuel

Guyana Order of Roraima, made by Spink.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...