News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Badge, Milk Cow Type XIV / Monsun?

A German gentleman who recently sold it to me said that he himself got it many
    years ago, along with a cap badge from U-168 (Monsun-boat), from a
    household. To my knowledge there were only ten Type XIV U-Boats built in total
    but I could only find the "conning tower" emblems of 9 of them in Georg Hogel's book -
    the remaining one, U-464, is not incorporated into his book.

U-459, commissioned 15 November 1941, scuttled 24 July 1943
    U-460, commissioned 24 December 1941, sunk 4 October 1943
    U-461, commissioned 30 January 1942, sunk 30 July 1943
    U-462, commissioned 5 March 1942, sunk 30 July 1943
    U-463, commissioned 2 April 1942, sunk 15 May 1943
    U-464, commissioned 30 April 1942, scuttled 20 August 1942
    U-487, commissioned 21 December 1942, sunk 13 July 1943
    U-488, commissioned 1 February 1943, sunk 26 April 1944
    U-489, commissioned 8 March 1943, sunk 4 August 1943
    U-490, commissioned 27 March 1943, sunk 12 June 1944

So I figured maybe it could have belonged to the crew of U-464. Or were perhaps
    supply surface ships (versorgers) also called Milk Cow or Sea Cow? Your help is much
    appreciated.

milkcoww_burned.png

milkcow back.JPG

On 06/01/2020 at 04:59, Matthew Macleod said:

Matthew, thank you for the U-464 image. I didn't even know it existed. Yes, definitely an emblem there and that's interesting enough in itself, but with the best will in the world I can't see much resemblance with the badge. Maybe other pictures of this emblem still remain and provide a definitive answer one day. 

Unfortunately the book that covers these boats in detail 'Die Versorger der „Grauen Wölfe“
    Einsatz und Schicksal der deutschen U-Tanker 1941-44' (Luftfahrtverlag-Start) doesn't shed any light on U-464's use of an emblem. It just states that up to now no emblem has been verified.

• 1 year later...

Hi together,

I do have one of these badges. It is from my grandfather. He served in Java, Indonesia. I know that he took part in supplying U-Boats. But he was not an U-Boat-man. His ship was was destroyed an sank and he was rescued from an U-Boat, which they should supply. Unfortunately my grandfather died 20 years ago. So I can not ask him anymore. It could be from the a supply ship or from a U-boat.

JL

Hi together,

I do have one of these badges. It is from my grandfather. He served in Java, Indonesia. I know that he took part in supplying U-Boats. But he was not an U-Boat-man. His ship was was destroyed an sank and he was rescued from an U-Boat, which they should supply. Unfortunately my grandfather died 20 years ago. So I can not ask him anymore. It could be from the a supply ship or from a U-boat.

JL