News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Quick search online made me only fid this additional image of him. (sorry no better quality available as this postcard is not in my collection).

1775836.jpg

Edited by OvBacon

Both  of those photos are of General Rudolf von Borries.  

I am also trying to find a photo of PLM  recipient General Frhr. Otto von Diepenbroick-Grueter.  I  am reading a book now about the German Generals that fought against Patton in WWI.  It has a photo of him as a cadet.  It would be good to see him as a general.

26 minutes ago, jameslien said:

Both  of those photos are of General Rudolf von Borries.  

I am also trying to find a photo of PLM  recipient General Frhr. Otto von Diepenbroick-Grueter.  I  am reading a book now about the German Generals that fought against Patton in WWI.  It has a photo of him as a cadet.  It would be good to see him as a general.

Funny thing that one of his daughters married a "Von Borries"

(I think his name is Otto von Diepenbroick-Grüter)

Edited by OvBacon

Thank you Glenn! This really helps.

Rick was not happy with Fotos unless they were clear enough that you could identify the medals.  Now that you have generously shared the above photo, I will attempt to find a Cabinet Foto or AK that is very sharpe.  If anyone has one for sale, please let me know.

Now turning to General Karl von Borries.  Attached is a copy of one that I obtained from a book Die Badener  I'm Weltkrieg 1914 /1918.   Does anyone have this book?  If so, please send a better shot (one that is not at an angle)? 

Unfortunately, it is not very clear.  I am looking for a clear Foto of him too... preferably a Cabinet Foto. .  Does anyone have one for sale?

Cheers..Jamess

Screen shot 2015-11-09 at 3.04.14 PM.png

James,

this is an improvement on the one posted above, which I believe I scanned from said book some years ago. The images in the link and the photo with Heeringen and Zwehl above shows Rudolf von Borries.

I have to admit, I have some issues with the portrait captioned as showing Baron Diepenrock as a "cadet in 1872." In the first instance, it shows a subaltern officer of one of the Foot Guards regiments. Otto Diepenbrock was commissioned into the 4. Garde-Grenadier-Regiment in November 1879 which wore different cuffs and collar insignia. I am wondering, if he is perhaps Friedrich Freiherr von Diepenbroick-Grüter, born 1869 who was serving in the 2. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß.

Regards

Glenn

borries karl v gdi 52 id.jpg

Glenn,

Thank you ...it is a much better photo.

I too have issues with the photo from the book "Fighting Patton."  captioned "Otto Freiherr von Diepenbroick-Grüter pictured as a  cadet in 1872."  Cadets did not wear officer's shoulder boards...they wore EM shoulder straps...so this is not a cadet photo.  Otto was born in June 18, 1860, so he would have been 12 years old in 1872.  Otto could not have been a officer at age 12.  So the date can't be 1872 if it Otto.  Also, the officer in the photo does look like a 12 year old. 

Glenn,

General Otto Freiherr Diepenbroick-Grüter commanded Baden Regiment  IR110 from April 18, 1913 to October 25, 1914 and then a Baden Brigade from October 25, 1914  to May 1, 1917 are there photos of him and in the book  Die Badener im Weltkrieg 1914/ 1918?  Is he mentioned in thee book?

Cheers...James