News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cased Waldeck Merit Cross w/Swords

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: What a teaser... it's from the Evil Ricky Former Collection, of course. :rolleyes:

Some more from the lucky man with TWO rare :love: beauties:

[attachmentid=35682]

We'll keep Frau :love: EhrenkreuzX off camera. :P

Rick

Very interesting photo. Is it dated? He is wearing a cross strap and I thought that did not come into fashion until the 1920s. The shoulder boards have irregular pips and the boards themselves look very dark. It appears also that he is an Oberst? he looks young for that rank. Can you tell from the photo what the little pin on his uniform next to the medal bar is?

Thanks,

Mark

Guest Rick Research

He's a Polizei NCO in the 1920s. Aside from an Arnstadt photographer's stamp, zip zero nada. Given the excessively limited numbers of the Merit Cross X (which we will leave aside until after hopefully somebody here gets the cased award :rolleyes: ), and combined with the Medal X

since Waldeck's COMPLETE wartime roll has been published, an identification WOULD have been possible... but only with a name. :(

Weimar era police insignia varied wildly from state to state. I'm not sure if he is a Polizei-Oberwachtmeister or an Obermeister/Offizieranw?rter. I'll guess at the latter because of his officers' belt rig. But that doesn't help pluck him out of the potential--and all "invisible" wartime NCO recipients.

That is his groom's wedding posie beside the medal bar.

yes, but i guess, even with the rolls, it would be nearly impossibl to trace him down, as many of the honorcross recipients got the silver medal with swords.

and as long as we don't have a unit or a possible name - there seems to be no chance to get him!

christian

Additional information about this eBay listing. I emailed the seller and asked for a photo of the case lid. He told me that it is the original case that he obtained the cross in but refused to send a picture becasue he "usess a laptop".

Hmmmmmm.....

Not bad...... $800 & change for a cased award, 1 of about 500 awarded.... Not bad at all. About half what it's worth...

Hi stogieman,

I`m the "lucky bastard" who got the cross :jumping:

This time I was successful, after I`ve tried it several times in the past.

The exact numbers of Honour Crosses are:

- without swords: 233

- with swords: 152

That makes 385 together - not easy to get one :(

Last year in the Thies auction a similar piece (without case) went for 850 Euro plus charge; that makes nearly a Thousand Euro !!!!

But I am not so interested in the case. As you might know, there were no specific cases to Waldeck decorations - that means no Waldeck imprint on the lid.

I do need the cross to complete the following medal group.

Greetings

eitze

• 2 weeks later...

Gerd and Mark,

it`s a pleasure to share the pictures with you.

No sharing - no forum!

I am right after another Waldeck Medal Bar.

If I`ll get it, you will see it ;)

Greetings

eitze