News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Portuguese WW1 Victory Medal

I am looking at whether to get this medal, but not sure if  is real or copy. I have looked at previous posts on this subject but can't convince myself it is a real one. Thanks for help! I don't have pics of the edge, and other than 35 mm diametre, no other info. Ribbon either mint or replacement. If real, any ideas of what is a typical price range?.

v.PNG

xx.PNG

Aardvarkblue,

Looks a lot like the "Official Type 3" in James P. Michels Jr.'s book 'World War 1 Victory Medals'. 

Sorry, not the best of pictures:

vic0.jpg.1f192367c9d9fe1360cec2f9283d7432.jpg

Not sure what the price range for this one would be?‍♂️.

Thanks for that Graham. I need to get a copy of that book. So have just ordered one. But will take a while to get here.  I have Laslo's book which is great, but the images are a limitation ( albeit mostly due to the age of its publication). David

Hello David,

There are numerous close-up pics of official strikes for you to be able to make a direct comparison on the Portuguese Victory Medals sub-thread.

In regards a price range, that is a vexing question only limited by what the individual collector is willing to pay to obtain a piece.  Everyone's price range and limit will be different.

Welcome to the forum.

Regards,
    Rob

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am back on the forum after a few years away. I wanted to do a reality check on some of my medals and check with the experts whether these are genuine or fakes (as I am suspicious about some of them). Please give me your thoughts:

Here then are three Portuguese victory medals  with the descriptions given them when I bought them (left to right):

Laslo official type 2

Laslo unofficial type 1 with narrow cylinder suspension

Laslo unofficial type 1 with wire suspension

Portugal obverse low.jpg

and here the reverse in the same order.

Portugal reverse low.jpg

• 2 years later...
    On 15/08/2020 at 00:11, sumserbrown said:

Hi all,

I am back on the forum after a few years away. I wanted to do a reality check on some of my medals and check with the experts whether these are genuine or fakes (as I am suspicious about some of them). Please give me your thoughts:

Here then are three Portuguese victory medals  with the descriptions given them when I bought them (left to right):

Laslo official type 2

Laslo unofficial type 1 with narrow cylinder suspension

Laslo unofficial type 1 with wire suspension

Portugal obverse low.jpg

and here the reverse in the same order.

Portugal reverse low.jpg

Hi summersbrown,

All good with these three. The two unofficial type 1's are both good. The one with the narrow wire suspender is a later production. It uses the same die as the central example. It also has the same die flaw on the reverse with a flash mark underneath the line of the cross next to the letter 'D'.

Of note is that the ribbon is the correct Portuguese produced variety on all three.

Regards,

Rob

To the mods,

In order to keep these country specific forum topics clean I would recommend this post be moved into the larger thread dedicated to Portuguese vics.

Regards,

Rob

• 3 weeks later...