News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

A couple of pics as I couldn't resist joining in on this one. :D

IPB Image

IPB Image

And I hope no one minds but had to sneak in something Japanese... no cross but hope it's okay. :unsure::rolleyes:

IPB Image

I actually meant this one to go under Artistic Crosses but guess I messed up. :blush: Of course if "someone" can move it... :rolleyes:

Thanks for looking. :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

Guest Darrell

Hi Darrell,

I sure do hope so... otherwise I'm in biiiiiig trouble! :rolleyes::P:D

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Any stories behind the Japanese stuff? I would imagine that pistol is fairly rare?

Any stories behind the Japanese stuff? I would imagine that pistol is fairly rare?

Well, picked up the flag I can't remember where... in fact got the majority of this stuff... well, you know how long ago! :P

The binoculars were a find of the father of a very close friend. Got those for all of $10. :D He knew I was into militaria so would occassionally find pieces as he was a flea market dealer and he'd pass them on to me at cost... bless him! :D I got a great print of a painting of the last day of WWI... a navy produced piece showing Marines in the final battle. I hope to get a shot of it but it's framed behind glass and the back is sealed so need to figure out the best way to do that. Also one of the older style T handle U.S. shovels and a few other tidbits over time.

The Nambu I purchased at a small gun/sporting goods shop down in Countryside Florida which is next to Clearwater in the Tampa Bay area. Got it and a Soviet marked Moisen Nagant revolver at the same time. If I remember correctly I paid $300 for the Nambu and $200 for the Nagant... should have waited on that one but at the time Soviet stuff was like nill over here. And who knew you'd be able to pick them up for peanuts in later years. :speechless: Actually passed up one of the WWII British revolvers for it... sorry now I didn't pick that one. :speechless::banger: But I do love my Nagant.

The holster for the Nambu is actually an excellent copy and has the cleaning rod included. Some friends went to a gun show once and found me a box of shells for this. I've fired it around three times just to get a feel for it but as the ammo is pricey and the firing pins are fragile I try not to fire it off if I can avoid it. But it is a fine shooting pistol.

I have a couple of Japanese medals... a cased Red Cross and a Sacred Treasure... one of the lower classes which is missing the jewels. :( But I got it in a trade for next to nothing and sometimes I just can't resist the underdog.

Not sure of the Nambu's value now but I've had several gun types tell me over the years that it's a very desireable one due to it's condition which is excellent. It's a year 14 if I remember correctly. One of these days I guess I should get the lanyard for it as well as an extra firing pin. It's a terrific piece and I feel lucky to have it.

Thanks for taking a look. :cheers:

Dan

I love your displays! Especially the Japanese one! The Nambu pistol is an eye catcher.

It is a good thing that you are not going to fire the Japanese pistol anymore. The high price of the ammo is the least of my concerns. These pistols were said to have injured as many of it's operators as they did targets. Seriously, these weapons are notorious for misfiring and worse. Be careful with these!

Regards

Paul

I love your displays! Especially the Japanese one! The Nambu pistol is an eye catcher.

It is a good thing that you are not going to fire the Japanese pistol anymore. The high price of the ammo is the least of my concerns. These pistols were said to have injured as many of it's operators as they did targets. Seriously, these weapons are notorious for misfiring and worse. Be careful with these!

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Again many thanks for your very generous comments! :cheers: I think doing up displays is one of the most enjoyable parts of this hobby for me. I dearly wish I could work in a museum... I do volunteer in our local one but for me, to be paid to do what one loves in life is the greatest career, regardless of money or benefits. To coin a phrase from a certain Japanese Colonel in "Bridge Over The River Kwai"... to truly and completely "be happy in your work" is a joy I'm afraid far too few folks have in life.

On the Nambu... believe me, as with all others I'm extremely careful. Was raised by my father to respect guns, not fear them. To take all due and proper precautions and then some. I'm manic about it in fact. He started me out at five years old... and I started my son out early as well. In my experience, the vast majority of accidents with guns happen because of two types of things... lack of knowledge and experience and getting apathetic and lazy. I firmly and strongly believe all kids should be instructed in firearm safety and made to understand that like any tool they are dangerous and deserve respect. Even if they never have experience with one again it can do them no harm.

And those long time gun owners who simply start to handle them as if it's all just an old routine... go and take a refresher course! You let your guard down once and that's it! It's not worth it. You may be the worlds expert... but you get lazy in how you handle them and they'll bite you back big time!

Also, I've found over time that Japanese guns as a group have gotten a bad rap. They are actually fairly safe unless a last ditch or certain models. Their rifles can take an incredible amount of punishment not to mention overloading and still hold their own. They're in fact based on the Mauser action, which I believe to be one of the single best actions ever designed or built.

The Nambu I have is extremely well built, has been checked by several gunsmiths who are familiar with them and has been given the A++++ seal of approval! :D If there was one to fire it's this one... but due to it's age, collector value and condition I just don't like to "push my luck". :rolleyes:

And I'm cheap! :rolleyes: Hey, I'm part Scot... what'dya want? :lol:

Again thanks so much for the compliments. And my "kiddies" thank you too! :D

Dan