News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ANTIGUA & BARBUDA MEDAL

Hello Gentlemen,

I will start to list the Medal of the State of Antigua & Barbuda in the Caribbean.

Antigua & Barbuda got its Independence from United Kingdom on 1st November 1981, since then Queen Elizabeth II is Queen of Antigua & Barbuda.

Antigua & Barbuda do not have an Army, but a Defense Force, the ABDF ( Antigua & Barbuda Defense Force ). It's strength is 245 Personnel, + 70 Reserve.

It's not huge, but they have been deployed overseas on 3 occasions :

1983 : 14 Men were deployed to Grenada during the Operation Urgent Fury

1990 : 12 Soldiers were sent to Trinidad & Tobago after a failed Coup d'Etat attempt by radical black muslims against the constitutionally elected Government headed by Prime MinisterA.N.R. Robinson

1995 : Members of the ABDF were deployed in Haiti as part of the Operation Uphold Democracy.

But on that time the ABDF had not yet any medals on their own, they were instituted later. The Defense (Decoration) Regulations were made by the Governor General, under Section 160, of Cap 132 of the Defense Act. It governs the issuing of decorations to members of the Antigua & Barbuda Defense Force ( ABDF ). The Medals were created in 1999, and only started to be issued in 2000.

One of the source is the magazine of the Antigua & Barbuda Defense Force : PARATUS.

The motto of the ABDF is Paratus ad Serviendum ( Ready to Serve ), it make sense their Force Magazine is names : Paratus.

I will list the medal one by one, it will takes times, so please wait for comments.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda Text Medal 1.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda Text Medal 2.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is the Gallantry Medal from Antigua & Barbuda Defense Force.

The medal is silver-gilt with enameled Coat of Arms on obverse center, and its diameter is 34 Millimeters.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda Medal of Gallantry obverse.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda Medal of Gallantry reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is the Antigua & Barbuda Medal for Meritorious Service.

It's a silver gilt medal, and its diameter is 34 Millimeters.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda MSM Medal obverse.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda MSM Medal reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here we have the ABDF GSM ( General Service Medal ).

The medal is silver & enamel on its obverse.

The diameter of the medal is 34 Millimeters.

From the whole series, of the Antigua & Barbuda I have been able to get over the year, it is the onliest that I have got, issued, to : " E . Greene " 

I bought this medal in 2015, from a seller from Florida, and I was said it had been issued to a US Servicemen. Which I have no proof, but the story that the seller told me.

Anyways, in all my life, I just saw 2 for sale.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda GSM obverse.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda GSM reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here, and still following the ABDF hierarchy of medals, we have the Long Service & Good Conduct Medal, L.S.G.C. Medal

The medal is silver, with red enamel surrounding the Coat of Arms of Antigua & Barbuda on obverse center of the medal.

Its diameter is 34 Millimeters.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda LSGC Medal obverse.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda LSGC Medal reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is the last of the purely antiguan Medal (among the "service" medal). Because later on there will be the various Independence Medal and its anniversary (which of course are also purely antiguan & barbudian.

The ABDF Efficient Service Medal.

The medal is silver, and its diameter is 34 Millimeters.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda Efficient Service Medal obverse.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda Efficient Service Medal reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Despite being a multi national medal, that is worn by member of the Defense Forces from others Caribbeans Nations, Antigua & Barbuda includes this medal among the list of "its" award (see first photo of this post, on 3rd column, upper side).

It is the Regional Security System Medal.

It can be awarded for small deployment in the territory of others Caribbeans Nations, for various reason, incl assistance when there is a hurricane, 

The medal has seen at least 2 strike (one very smooth relief, and another one with much better struck).

It is in silvered metal.

Best regards.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda Regional Security System Service Medal obverse.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda Regional Security System Service Medal reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,

Here we enter in another category of Medals from Antigua & Barbuda, the Independence & Independence Anniversary Commemorative Medal.

Here the medal that commemorate the Independence of Antigua & Barbuda from the United Kingdom on 1st November 1981.

The medal is silver-gilt, and its diameter is 36 Millimeters.

On the reverse you can see the map of the 2 islands, Antigua on bottom, and the less populated Barbuda, above.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda Medal for Independence 1981 obverse.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda Medal for Independence 1981 reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is the Medal for 15th Anniversary of Independence of Antigua & Barbuda.

We know that this medal was produced by Spink & Son of London, unlike the Independence Medal and the following 21 & 25th Anniversary Medal.

This medal is silvered cuprous-nickel.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda Medal for 15 Years Independence 1996 obverse.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda Medal for 15 Years Independence 1996 reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is a medal; that I had never been aware about, before I got to see it. 

It's the Medal for the 21th Anniversary of Independence of Antigua & Barbuda.

So, why 21 ? Because it is the "age of consent" and this concept is still of great importance in the Caribbeans (and it was told to me, both by fellow from Barbados, and Trinidad).

Anyways a superb medal, in silver gilt.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda Medal for 21 Years Independence 2002 obverse.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda Medal for 21 Years Independence 2002 reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

It seems it exist another version of the 21st Anniversary of Independence Medal, in metal gilt, much lighter. And of cheaper manufacturing quality. I have got this medal from a brazilian fellow, that ounce was staying long time in Antigua.

I can only bet that the high quality medal, that is shown on the Post above, was reserved for high ranking Officials attending the Ceremony, and that this medal was more largely awarded to others participants.

But without more conclusive information, it's only a guessing.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda Medal for 21 Years Independence 2002 Unofficial obverse.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda Medal for 21 Years Independence 2002 Unofficial reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

The last medal from this serie, the Antigua & Barbuda 25th Anniversary of Independence 1981-2006.

This medal was struck by ELM from Singapore, and is in rhodium plated silver.

For the first time ever, there is an Antigua & Barbuda Medal from which the suspension swivel.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda Medal for 25 Years Independence 2006 obverse.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda Medal for 25 Years Independence 2006 reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

About 3 months ago, we got to know that Antigua & Barbuda had also a Police Long Service & Good Conduct Medal.

This medal was for sale in an auction house of London, and I did bought it.

We can bet that it shall exist an upper medal of the Antigua Police Service (next post).

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda Police LSGC Medal.png

Acting Police Commissioner Atlee Patrick Rodney from Royal Police Force Antigua & Barbuda was awarded the Queen's Police Medal in 2019, and it's gonna be on the Queen's 2020 New Year's Honors List.

Mr Rodney enlisted the police in January 1982, and thus has by 2020 achieved 38 Years of service.

https://hi-in.facebook.com/royalpoliceforceofantiguaandbarbuda/posts/acting-commissioner-of-police-atlee-patrick-rodney-is-to-receive-the-queens-poli/1505161246328434/

There is a link in the facebook, to a You Tube video where Mr Rodney is interviewed.

But watch his ribbon bar : 3 ribbon, the one at left is Regional Security Medal ( Mr Rodney was sent to Grenada in 1983). The 2 others medals, one is the Antigua & Barbuda Police LSGC (the one at right ), but the one in the middle got a bit similar stripes, but in a different sequence, so I bet, it shall exist an Antigua & Barbuda Police Meritorious Service Medal (likely). See the screen capture, clearly the 2 ribbon at right and middle are almost, but NOT similar !!

But till we got a photographic evidence, we just can guess.

Or maybe Ilja, or someone else can help.

Best regards.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda Acting Commissioner of Police Atlee Patrick Rodney.jpg

Capture d’écran 2020-07-15 à 09.00.49.png

Edited by heusy68

Here you can see a photo of Lieut Col Edwards Croft from ABDF, taken in 2007.

He is wearing (from left to right): MSM, GSM (with bar), Regional Security System Medal (with an unidentified bar), 25th Anniversary of Independence Medal.

Antigua & Barbuda Lieut Col Edward 007.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here are 2 photo of Sir Colonel Trevor A. Thomas who is now retired, but for 28 Years was the Chief of Staff of the Antigua & Barbuda Defense Force ( ABDF )..

On the first photo he's wearing an MBE ( Military Division ), the MSM of Antigua & Barbuda, the GSM of Antigua & Barbuda (with a bar), and the Regional Security System Medal (with a bar).

On the 2nd photo, he is wearing the ribbon of a CMG, which was probably awarded to him after 2007.

Best regards to all.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda Col Trevor A Thomas.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda Colonel Sir Trevor Thomas.png

Edited by heusy68

I know, there is many of you, that would be interested to see these photo. They are the photo from eBay, when I bought the GSM in June 2015.

You can see the Presentation Case of Issue for the medal is relatively large, if you compare it to the size of the medal. And the medal is presentedin the case, on it's smaller length.

There is no manufacturer name inside the case, even after having removing the black velvet that hold the medal......

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Antigua & Barbuda General Service Medal case.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda General Service Medal obverse.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda General Service Medal close up obverse.jpg

Antigua & Barbuda General Service Medal reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

• 2 weeks later...