News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello, please help me ID the awards on the ribbon bar of Vizeadmiral Andreas Michelsen. The photo was taken in 1919.

His list of awards I have from the 1914 and 1918 Rangliste and seeoffiziere Gesamtliste:

-Pour le Mérite am 31. 05. 1918 als Kommodore und Kapitän zur See und Befehlshaber der Unterseeboote
    -Königlich Preußischer Kronen-Orden 2. Klasse mit Schwertern (02. 11. 1916)
    -Ritterkreuz des Königlich Preußischen Hausordens von Hohenzollern mit Schwertern (01. 08. 1916)
    -Eisernes Kreuz (1914) 1. Klasse
    -Eisernes Kreuz (1914) 2. Klasse
    -Königlich Preußische Kaiser Wilhelm-Centenarmedaille 1897
    -Kolonial-Denkmünze mit Spange „Venezuela 1902/03“
    -Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden 3. Klasse mit der Schleife
    -Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden 4. Klasse mit der Krone
    -Königlich Preußischer Kronen-Orden 3. Klasse
    -Königlich Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz
    -Komturkreuz 2. Klasse des Königlich Sächsischen Albrechts-Ordens mit Schwertern
    -Königlich Bayerischer Militärverdienstorden 3. Klasse mit der Krone und Schwertern
    -Ritterkreuz des Großherzoglich Mecklenburgischen Greifenordens
    -Großherzoglich Oldenburgisches Friedrich August-Kreuz 1. Klasse
    -Großherzoglich Oldenburgisches Friedrich August-Kreuz 2. Klasse
    -Leutnant des Königlich Großbritannischen Victoria-Ordens (GV4)
    -Kaiserlich Russischer St. Stanislaus-Orden 2. Klasse

Ribbon bar:

- Eisernes Kreuz (1914) 2. Klasse

- Ritterkreuz des Königlich Preußischen Hausordens von Hohenzollern mit Schwertern

- Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden 3. Klasse mit der Schleife

- Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden 4. Klasse mit der Krone

- Königlich Preußische Kaiser Wilhelm-Centenarmedaille 1897 ???

- Südwestafrika-Denkmünze (does aynone know if Michelsen got the Bronze or Stahl version?)

- Kolonial-Denkmünze mit Spange „Venezuela 1902/03“

- Königlich Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz

- Königlich Bayerischer Militärverdienstorden 3. Klasse mit der Krone und Schwertern

- Ritterkreuz des Großherzoglich Mecklenburgischen Greifenordens

- Großherzoglich Oldenburgisches Friedrich August-Kreuz 2. Klasse

- This looks like the k.u.k. Österreichisches Militär-Verdienstkreuz 3. Klasse mit der Kriegsdekoration, but what is the device above the Kriegsdekoration ???

Also, notice the badge below the EKI. Is that the Marineverwundetenabzeichen (1918) in Schwarz?

Michelsen.jpg

210-1.jpg

You have the DA and the Centenary backward. The DA was a decoration and ranked ahead of the campaign and commemorative medals. The Centenary ranked after the campaign medals. As Rick used to remind us, the yellow ribbon of the Centenary often appears dark in black & white photos. 

Regarding the SWA Denkmünze, since he does not have a combatant decoration for that conflict, I would guess he was at home and his medal is in Stahl, but I can't say for certain.

Michelsen received the Leopold-Orden, Ritterkreuz 3. Klasse mit der Kriegsdekoration, in 1916. I am pretty sure that is the last ribbon (red with white edge stripes). I can't tell, but the device above the Kriegsdekoration might be a crown.

1 hour ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Thank you Dave!

And what about the badge below the EKI? Is that the Marineverwundetenabzeichen (1918) in Schwarz?

Hello,

Yes Marineverwundeten Abzeichen in Schwarts!

Best,Morten.