News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Arab medal

Medal is part of probably one persons lot of medals and badges I found recently. Owner was probably ex Yugoslavian navy NCO or officer.  I don˙t know the name or any other information cause lot was found in a garbage container by local drunk who sold it to me.  

I assume owner was navy cause I found some USSR navy badges.  Yugoslav navy ships also  visited ports of Arab countries quite often.   I can´t find any similair medal and I think it might be Egyptian cause eagle reminds me of Egyptian coat of arms.  

Any suggestions?

9kMuSNK.jpgMAd8nY7.jpgE91L1f3.jpg

Edited by Von Thronstahl

Hi, This is the Medal of Merit - it appears to be silver and thus a 2nd Class - also a silver mark. The Arabic on the suspension reads 'Republic of Egypt' - the suspension 'bird' was later changed when the nation became the 'Egyptian Arab Republic'  - see image below. The revers Arabic is the word 'merit'. Regards, Owain 

Egypt Merit Obverse.jpeg

11 hours ago, oamotme said:

Hi, This is the Medal of Merit - it appears to be silver and thus a 2nd Class - also a silver mark. The Arabic on the suspension reads 'Republic of Egypt' - the suspension 'bird' was later changed when the nation became the 'Egyptian Arab Republic'  - see image below. The revers Arabic is the word 'merit'. Regards, Owain 

Thank you very much Owain.  Do you think that Yugoslavian navy NCO or officer could be awarded this medal? 

Yes I do - Nasser and Tito were very friendly and visited each other on numerous occasions. I think it would have gone to a junior rank not an officer as and officer would have received an Order of Merit (not the Medals of Merit which was a separate series of medals) or Order of the Republic. Owain

1 hour ago, oamotme said:

Yes I do - Nasser and Tito were very friendly and visited each other on numerous occasions. I think it would have gone to a junior rank not an officer as and officer would have received an Order of Merit (not the Medals of Merit which was a separate series of medals) or Order of the Republic. Owain

Thank you once again for your help Owain. 

• 4 weeks later...
    On 10/09/2020 at 10:28, paul wood said:

interesting the medals are considerably harder to find than the orders.

p

That’s a good question and one I’ve pondered about Arab orders/medals in general. One partial reason may be that orders are more likely to be awarded to foreigners than medals, and therefore more of them end up In Western countries and more likely to end up on the auction block? Whereas medals in Arab countries generally stay in those countries and perhaps wind up in a local bazaar but otherwise are not as widely available to international collectors. 

Just a theory.