News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

OK, what uniform is he wearing here?  It is probably a Prussian uniform, because he gives precedence to his Prussian medals and orders, which he does not when he wears Bavarian uniform. He was an honorary 'chef' or ala suite to some Prussian regiments, a dragoon regiment, I think. Anyway, any ideas what this rig represents? What color would the shoulder cord underlay be?

leopold-konig-921846-2891930-prinz-von-bayern-deutscher-general-portrat-munchen-ca-ba805r.jpg

Prince Leopold was Chief of the 7 th westfalisches Dragoner Regiment Feldmarschall Prinz Leopold von Bayern on the Pic he is wearing a Field grey uniform . stand and fall collar . they are not buttons visible so one tends to think of a Bluse . If it is the uniform of the Dragoons then the backing of the shoulder cords must be cornflower blue with a inner piping of rosa rot ,rose red ,the regimental distinctive colour of the 7th 

14 hours ago, Bayern said:

Prince Leopold was Chief of the 7 th westfalisches Dragoner Regiment Feldmarschall Prinz Leopold von Bayern on the Pic he is wearing a Field grey uniform . stand and fall collar . they are not buttons visible so one tends to think of a Bluse . If it is the uniform of the Dragoons then the backing of the shoulder cords must be cornflower blue with a inner piping of rosa rot ,rose red ,the regimental distinctive colour of the 7th 

Is the rose red over the cornflower blue the 'peacetime' shoulder board combination and the earlier times underlay would have been only the rose red?

Hello Gentlemen , The peacetime backing of the SBs was only rosen rot , the same with the 1907 10 Field Grey uniform. It  was with the 1915 Bluse that all Prussian Dragoons Regiments adopted a cornflower blue Shoulder strap for NCOs and Men piped in the old Regimental SBs colour . the Officers shoulder boards were underlayed in cornflower blue with a inner piping in the regimental colour ,Rose red in this case. Another point about the Pic and the uniform. the Absence of the Bavarian Borte on the collar reinforces the presumption of the Prussian Dragoons n 7 uniform M 1915

The darker cloth of the collar was a feature of the 1915 Bluse. I prefer to think that after the War altough Prince Leopold weared uniform in public in many ocasions he chosed to wear Bavarian ones, The pic  date is after the 4th March 1918 . the Prince received in these date the Great Cross of the Iron Cross he is wearing on the pic 

I have not seen many (any) wartime examples of the 1915 bluse with the dark 'bottle green' collar, instead of the lighter reseda green.  It seems most photos that show the dark green collar are post-war, like the many of Ludendorff wearing a bluse style uniform. His wartime 'bluse' photos show a lighter reseda green collar. Mackensen also, as he appears in his honorary infantry regimental bluse, has the dark green collar in a post war photo. 

Does anyone have better photos -dated in wartime -that show this darker green collar?

It seems more likely this photo of Leopold is post-war.

Edited by filfoster

I do not understand this post. regarding 'soap and cheese'.  I am not familiar with this phrase. I hope it is not, as the English say....'taking the p--s'.  My apologies if I have given any offense. I am simply trying to learn the details of the photo of Leopold and the uniform details. 

I hope someone can post wartime photos of the 1915 bluse with the WW2 shade dark green collar, rather than the reseda green shade.  I cannot find them.

The photo of Leopold is black and white so it is subjective as to the color but to my eye it looks darker than reseda green and more like the WW2 shade, so likely post-war.

Mackensen and Ludendorff also appear in photos wearing this darker green collar on bluse uniforms but they are post war. 

Edited by filfoster

• 3 years later...

Bump; also please see related thread in uniform forum:  Are the shoulder boards Prussian (Prussian silver/black chevron center braid and Prussian batons) or Bavarian?   I understand they would be on the appropriate cornflower blue/rose underlay boards.