News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Freikorps Epp badge Clarity......

Thanks,

yes indeed... the FK epp had a whole company of offcers serving as other ranks in the Zeitfreiwilligen... the Zeitfreiwillige were part time FK members... my wifes great grandfather was a Zeitfreiwillige in Leipzig, they were mainly ex young officers, students in the Univ and part time FK members

Here are three from my collection. The green colored piping (gold for officers) on a black diamond was added after September 30, 1919  to denote those who had originally volunteered for Freikorps Epp in March 1919. This acted as a Tradition Badge when Bayerisches Schützenkorps (Freikorps Epp)/Reichswehr Brigade 21 merged with Reichswehr Brigade 22 to become Reichswehr Brigade 21 of the Übergangsheer in October 1919. It continued to be worn as a Tradition badge in the Wehrmacht up to 1945.

The other types of badges on blue were worn as a Tradition badge by former temporary volunteers (Zeitfreiwillige) of Freikorps Epp (as noted above) on the uniform of the SA from 11/7/1933 and the Bavarian State Police from 16/10/1933. Authorizations for wear were issued up until 1939. However, the badge was allowed for wear until 1945.

Eppx3_compsm.thumb.jpg.077b97255a2f19caa2b34c167c428018.jpg

The first one on plain black velvet belonged to Unteroffizier Wilhelm Förch. I have a few pictures of him as well as his Militärpass. As he is still wearing the badge without piping in the picture below, it was taken sometime between June 30, when Bayerisches Schützenkorps (Freikorps Epp) became Reichswehr Brigade 21 and September 30, 1919 when it merged with Reichswehr Brigade 22 to form the new Reichswehr Brigade 21 in the Übergangsheer.

1648535102_UnteroffizierWilhelmForch.thumb.jpg.b03bc4ec174aad8565de8edddfc6ad9b.jpg

There is a good article (Das Ärmelabzeichen "Freikorps Epp") by Jörg Bender in the January-April 1919 edition of the magazine Militaria & Phaleristik which contains pictures of the first two of the above badges. It gives a very detailed breakdown on the long history of this badge.

Edited by bolewts58

1 hour ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

Thanks,

yes indeed... the FK epp had a whole company of offcers serving as other ranks in the Zeitfreiwilligen... the Zeitfreiwillige were part time FK members... my wifes great grandfather was a Zeitfreiwillige in Leipzig, they were mainly ex young officers, students in the Univ and part time FK members

Here you go, Chris. Zeitfreiwillige Leipzig collar badges from my collection.

809611278_ZeitfreiwregtLeipzigsm.thumb.jpg.45ad4d89580cf62bb6cee40cb4458465.jpg

Edited by bolewts58