News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

FRENCH AWARDS IN CANADA AND OTHER LATER ON BRITISH TERRITORIES

numis

Can anyone provide any information on French Honours and Awards ( Titles, ODM etc ) granted in Canada and other territories which later became British during the time that they were under French control before they came under British control?

Hi Numis,

I would say - goggle it !!

Found 2 for you.

Clip.jpg.972747ba516e5b547aeeddbe3a1f7615.jpg

Clip_2.jpg.36f3db83a2662f5e13bccf62275a2255.jpg

Bronze. 76 mm. By H. Roussel. This is an example of the earliest medal produced by any European nation to present to North American Indians to honor or otherwise influence their actions or allegiances. As this has no evidence of a hanger it was unlikely a presented example. Still, as a very early strike it is a very rare medal. Estimated four known.

Marcon1

I mean GOOGLE it ?

there is. One must be very careful when buying early French medals as from the later part of the 19th century Paris mint restrikes (the early ones are very good) are stamped on the rims OR  ARGENT or BRONZE, some dishonest people hzve been known to skilfully file these off. While the restrikes are collectae, they are worth considerably less

Thank you for the information above 

Does anyone know of any other medals awarded in French territories that later became British ?

Were there any awards of the Royal Orders to persons serving in and persons resident of ?

Numis,

There were awards available to French citizens in the period that you are interested in.  If any were awarded to residents of what is noow Canada is unknown to me.  What existed  of my country in this period was referred to as New France and there doesn't seem to be much information in the Library and Archives Canada on medals awarded in this period but to start your search here is a list of French regiments in New France at that time.  https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/Pages/new-france.aspx There were also militia units raised from the residents of New France.  Sorry that I can not be of more assistance.  I will keep looking for some more answers for you though.

Regards,

Gordon

numis,

I have asked a friend who is a Colonel at the Canadian Military Directorate of History and Heritage about your question and he has responded with an interesting reply as below;

Yes, France awarded the Royal Military Order of St. Louis Aka La Croix de Saint-Louis to recognize distinguished service in New France, to Frenchmen serving here but also to almost 200 ‘Canadiens’ born here. It is mentioned in our 2012 book on the Order of Military Merit, in The early history as an antecedent. There is a book on the topic: ‘La Croix de Saint-Louis en Canada’ by Aegidius Fauteux, 1940. It has a history of the Order, its use here and a list with Brief bio details on about 180 recipients

https://www.emedals.com/a-french-royal-military-order-of-st-louis-knight-s-class 

The above url will take you to the site of emedals a well known Canadian seller of ODMs.  The description of the award on the emedals site is not as good as the one in the DHH 2012 book on the The Order of Military Merit but should be sufficient for your needs.  I have a copy of the DHH 2012 book.  Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards,

Gordon

Thank you for the interesting and much appreciated information

What would certainly be of interest  would be ( re the St Louis ) : (a) number awarded to French serving in Canada  and periods of issue and (b) a breakdown of the circa 180 French Canadian recipients into categories if such is possible  ( this in order to get some idea of who was being rewarded ) 

Also: were  any awards of the Military Merit Order made (a) in Canada and (b) to Canadians ?

numis,

As my friend mentioned in his response to me, he has a copy of the book "La Croix de Saint-Louis en Canada"  and I will see if he will lend it to me as your questions are also of interest to me.  The club we both belong to hasn't met in person in several months so getting access to the book could be difficult.  Whether it contains information to what French officers received this award or not I can not say until I have had a look at the book.  Since the book is in French and my abilities in French are limited this could be a long time sorting out.

Chris McCreery's book THE ORDER OF MILITARY MERIT (produced by DHH) says the following "The membership of the Ordre Royal et Militaire de Saint-Louis included French Canadian born officers living in Canada as well as Canadian-born officers serving in France and following the fall of New France in 1759.  Approximately 300 people associated with Canada were appointed to the Order, including 145 who were recognized for service in Canada."  This  statement does not specify how many Canadien, or French citizens, were awarded out of the 300.

There were no Order of Merit awarded in Canada during the time period of interest to you.  They did not exist then.   Although La Croix de Saint Louis is considered one of the antecedent to the Canadian Military Order of Merit.  Canada, as was the case with other British colonies, did not have it's own national honours system until very recently.  Canada instituted its own national honours system in 1967.  The Order of Military Merit came into being in 1972 after protracted discussions in the Canadian Government and the Cabinet.  The following is an excerpt from "THE ORDER OF MILITARY MERIT" by Christopher McCreery.   "Governor Roland Michener approved Order in Council 1972-810 0 1 May 1972, which enunciated that the Order would come into being on Dominion Day (July 1) 1972, and on 10 May 1972, The Queen signed the Letters Patent constituting the Order, counter signed by Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau.  With this the Prime Minister's Office issued a press release explaining "The Order of Military Merit has been established to provide a means or recognizing conspicuous merit and exceptional service by members of the Canadian Armed Forces, both regular and reserve"." 

Regards,

Gordon

The Order / Institution of Military Merit that I was referring to was that of the French Ancien Regime created in 1759 for non-Catholic officers who could not be admitted to the Order of St.Louis 

I look forward to further contributions on this topic .Thanks for those above