News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

International Brigades Medals ( Spanish Civil War )

numis

I have a small but far from complete ( I am still looking to fill gaps ) collection of medals to International Brigaders in the Spanish Civil War.

I would be interested to know whether any or many others on this forum have an interest in this area of collecting and / or awards of the Republican ( non- Franco ) side ( something also of interest to me although so far zero acquisitions ) 

• 2 weeks later...

Numis

There are also quite a number of groups in Spain, the UK and North America which study and re-enact the Spanish Civil War.  I have the privilige of being a member of one of the newest such groups, in Canada.  We have a Facebook presence here and one of our members, David Webb, whose name appears frequently on that page collects all sorts of fascinating SCW items and may even have medals.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2550049968413579.

• 2 weeks later...
    On 18/12/2020 at 04:44, numis said:

I have a small but far from complete ( I am still looking to fill gaps ) collection of medals to International Brigaders in the Spanish Civil War.

I would be interested to know whether any or many others on this forum have an interest in this area of collecting and / or awards of the Republican ( non- Franco ) side ( something also of interest to me although so far zero acquisitions ) 

I also have a small collection of medals to the International Brigades.  Here is a picture of my Polish cased commemorative medal for comparison to the emedals one Antonio posted.  The ribbon on my medal is badly faded.  As a comparison of price, I paid US$34.95 for my cased example in 2017.  I do not have a document for this medal.  My research indicates that there were only 2000 of these medals produced.

Regards,

Gordon

DSC01613.JPG

DSC01615.JPG

DSC01616.JPG

DSC01618.JPG

DSC01621.JPG

1956 was 20 years since the start of the Spanish Civil war.

In this year a number of countries and organizations issued medals for International Brigades veterans ( who had to have been very  lucky to survive  Franco, Fascism, Nazism and Stalinism until then ) 

Wesoloswki's book records the Polish medal as being silver ( with no mention of plating ) . I once sent a plated medal back to vendor on the basis of this description.Maybe I erred ( I still do not have one )