News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help needed: 1813-1816 Rang- und Quartierliste der Königlich Preußischen Armee

Hi all,

I  currently research a prussian veteran officer of the Napoleonic Wars  1813-15.

For this I urgently need to check the Rang- und Quartierliste der Königlich Preußischen Armee

But unfotunately the years 1813 to 1816 are neither available online nor in the libraries i can access and those who own it do not lend them...

So if anyone here has access to any of the Quartierlisten 1813 to 1816 I would be grateful for hekp / support.

All the best ArHo

Hello ArHo,

unfortunately I can only help you with a link to a hand written Rang- und Quartierliste from Prussia from 1813, which you can find following this path:

https://archivdatenbank.gsta.spk-berlin.de/midosasearch-gsta/MidosaSEARCH/iv_ha_rep_1/index.htm?kid=GStA_iv_ha_rep_1_3_3

But be warned: To me, the handling of the list (or the visualization in general) is painful.

There is a table of contents, maybe with that you can trim down the pages you need to look at and then select them on the top right from the drop down menu. There is no name index if I have looked correctly.

In general, the document itself is a piece of art.

Maybe your officer is also listed in the "Offiziersnomenklatur", which you can find on the left of the website.

Unfortunately, the list is not complete, but I used it quite often some time ago.

Dependent on your officers career, other lists might help your research, just as the 1817 (++) Ordenslist, or the post-war Staatshandbuecher, which you can find here:

https://opacplus.bsb-muenchen.de/search?oclcno=610727836&db=100&View=default

You need to klick on "Einzelbände", then you can read them online.

I can recommend using this website to search for other documents. If you i.e. just search "Preußen Rangliste", you'll find much of them (not the ones you are looking for atm).

Same works with Reuß, Hannover, Hessen, Sachsen... just get creative with the buzzwords.

Kind regards,

Leonard

Hello!

Prussian rankings have existed since at least 1713, and from 1785 onwards they were published annually until 1806. After that - as a result of the lost war of 1806 - there were initially no more rankings, but at least in 1808 and 1812 they were compiled in manuscript and more recently published as facsimile prints by the Military History Research Office. Furthermore, a ranking list for 1806 was published in two editions in 1828, supplemented by "News about the subsequent relationship of the officers and military officials listed therein" and a list of names in 1835.
    Regular annual rankings were published again from 1817 onwards.

Hi all and many thanks sofar!

@Metallica Thanks for the links and hints, very interesting, especially the 1813 list - you are right it is somehow a piece of art, wonderful to read!

@The Prussian Interesting - I did not know that there are no regular, printed Quartierlisten from 1813-1816!

@Glenn J That would be nice though I am afraid that he may perhaps not be found. His surname is Storch and he is listed (I guess) as Sekonde-Lieutenant of the 13te Landwehr-Regiment, 3rd Battalion, in the Quartierliste of 1823. He did take part in die 1813-15 wars but I do not know whether he already was an officer (-candidate) back then. I guess if yes he was part of a Landwehr-unit and a very junior officer.

Greetings to all
    ArHo

2 hours ago, ArHo said:

That would be nice though I am afraid that he may perhaps not be found

Hi ArHo,

oh ye of little faith ??

This from the Offizier-Stammliste of the Neumärkischer Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 3 (formerly Nr. 6). He was briefly an active cavalry officer.

Regards

Glenn

356700004_StorchFerdinand.thumb.jpg.e383992e071bb35d6fb357797613463f.jpg

Hi ArHo,

glad that you enjoy the 1813er list aswell.

I may have found your officer Storch in the Offiziersnomenklatur, but I am not 100% sure, as he is listed as Premierlieutnant earlier than 1823, where you found him in the Rangliste as Secondelieutnant.

But if I can read it correctly (the scan quality is... not perfect), the guy I highlighted has the same name and served in the 3. Batallion of the 13. Landwehr Regiment.

Kind regards,

Leonard

Edit: Attached the "Storch" entries from the Offiziersnomenklatur, as pdf

Offiziersnomenklatur_Storch.pdf

Storch_Offiziersnomenklatur.JPG

Edited by Metallica
    Add pdf + better screenshot

Wow, thank you both alot!

@Glenn J You were right I was way too pessimistic - but I think this is not "my" man, I am sure that Metallica hit it on the spot as it is infantry and the right regiment! But anyway thank you so much (again), too!

@Metallica That's just brilliant, this is him, definitely! I am so grateful :-) I owe you one in better days, definitely!

1 hour ago, ArHo said:

but I think this is not "my" man,

HI ArHo,

agreed; here is his promotion to Premier-Lieutenant as gazetted in the Militair-Wochenblatt Nr 168 of 11 Sweptember 1819. It gives a promotion date of 28 August 1819.

Regards

Glenn

2143152638_StorchFriedrich.jpg.0c7aada792dcf003987b281598a04bf2.jpg

Hi chaps,

just an aside on the business of researching early post Napoleonic War Prussians. As stated above 1813-1816 is pretty much a black hole as regards published Ranglisten. However, there are some excellent lists reproduced in the Prussian official history of the Prussian Army of the Wars of Liberation; Das Preußische Heer der Befreiungskriege. Although not name indexed, they are at least readable!! I have attached couple of examples below.

Moving on to the published army lists. These were published from 1817 onwards. These, however do present the researcher with some difficulties.

The print quality is not great and sometimes the names can be less than clear.

Until 1830, they are NOT name indexed!

Until 1820 only the permanent active staff of the Landwehr regiments are listed. The Landwehr officers are NOT (hence some difficulty with Herr Storch above!)

As a baseline for personal research I have indexed the 1817 edition in Excel (7993 entries)

The Militär (Militair-Wochenblatt) was published from 1816 onwards. This lists all promotions, transfers, retirements, dismissals, awards and deaths. Again, however, no name indices until at least the late 1860s.

The Offiziersnomenklatur which Leonard linked to above is extremely useful (especially for first names) but unfortunately the GStA holdings are incomplete and not every individual can be found. I do not think military officials are in there also.

These early guys can be a bit hit and miss.

Regards

Glenn

PHDBK1812.thumb.jpg.4d5f6401180ae6279d236b596028600f.jpgPHDBK1814-15.thumb.jpg.96efe4a6af05f403400cc881709627ce.jpg

• 6 months later...

Dear @Metallica @Glenn J and @The Prussian - I still owed you something in return for your input - here he is, after more research and valuable support from other people / institutions, my veteran of 1814: Heinrich Philip "Friedrich" Storch from Tecklenburg, born / died there 1793 / 1866. Volunteer of 1814 with 4th Bat., 3rd Westphalian Landwehr-Regiment, made officer, served until 1816, not present at Waterloo etc. in 1815 as I understand, later Major a. D. (Landwehr as I understand), Bürgermeister of Tecklenburg, like his father before him, from 1818 to 1857. He also received a RAO4 later (visible on the image next to his medal for 1814) and fathered 12 children. This is his quite meritious biography in short - in no way was he a highly decorated "hero" of his time, but we can see the face of a man who lived in difficult times and did his bit.

All the best and thanks again!

Storch1814.jpg

Edited by ArHo