News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello, the uniform looks as rifle green in colour and the fez is more a pillbox with tassel than a fez . The Burma Rifles weared a similar uniform but the men portrayed are africans . Regarding the West India Regiment I remember that the men of these unit wear a colourful uniform Zouave Style ,

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say they were either East African Rifles or Uganda Rifles, i.e. pre-KAR. They appear to be wearing a Gurkha-style rifles uniform with Kilmarnock caps that may have been adopted by a contingent visiting the UK for the coronation of Edward VII, as the local tropical drill uniform would've been unsuitable for the UK climate. I can't quite make out the medal ribbons, but they look jubilee-ish, so it could even be a visit for the 1897 jubilee. Nothing concrete on this, just gut. It looks like it was taken in the UK.

Edited by Tony Farrell

On 16/04/2021 at 16:36, Tony Farrell said:

I'd say they were either East African Rifles or Uganda Rifles, i.e. pre-KAR. They appear to be wearing a Gurkha-style rifles uniform with Kilmarnock caps that may have been adopted by a contingent visiting the UK for the coronation of Edward VII, as the local tropical drill uniform would've been unsuitable for the UK climate. I can't quite make out the medal ribbons, but they look jubilee-ish, so it could even be a visit for the 1897 jubilee. Nothing concrete on this, just gut. It looks like it was taken in the UK.

Thanks for your words. I did some more research & it appears to be for the 1897 Jubilee indeed!

• 4 months later...

They are members of the Gold Coast Constabulary or Haussas, in a form of undress.

Essentially that means they are not wearing the zouave style waistcoat over the jacket show, and the jacket is not tucked into the trousers.

Almost the entire uniform is dark blue, with red braid embellishments.

It is indeed at the Jubilee celebrations of 1897

Would love to attach a drawing of mine but I can't figure it out

• 1 month later...