News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identification help, please

Jeff,

The medal on the left looks like the Bukhara 'Bukhari-yi Sharif Medal for Military Service'. I found one on this internet site:

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=957&lot=3027

The second looks similar (although not the same) to this item at this website:

https://www.emedals.com/russia-empire-emirate-of-bukhara-an-order-of-the-noble-bukhara-2nd-class-star-c-1893

Graham,

Thanks.  Perhaps the round pendant is the medal of the Noble Order.

I think I slept through my  Bukharan history classes in college, so I'll now have to go back for a refresher course.

Jeff

Jeff,

The Arabic script on the circular medal reads "Nishan Dar Al Sultani Bokarai Shareef" which translates as Order of the Noble House of Bokhara. The date is 1353 - date of institution? I believe this to be a medal of the order and which had one time been enamelled.

The central inscription in the lozenge shaped medals reads "Bokhara Shareef" (Noble Shareef) and the date 1334. This has also lost its enamel. This may be a military medal of some kind but the script is difficult to read. In some instances the medals were made by person who could not read or understand the language used and thus the script is poorly formed. (This is sometimes the case with French colonial awards form Djibouti or the Comoros.)

By the end of the nineteenth century the Bokhara Sultans were vassals to the Tsars and awarded their own orders which Russian recipients were allowed to wear with their Russian awards.

Regards,

Owain    

• 2 weeks later...
    On 09/04/2021 at 10:38, oamotme said:

The central inscription in the lozenge shaped medals reads "Bokhara Shareef" (Noble Shareef) and the date 1334. This has also lost its enamel. This may be a military medal of some kind but the script is difficult to read.

Owain it reads "In memory of the war to the faithful servants [faithful slaves].

1334 = 1915/1916  

The date is 1353 - date of institution? 

This is 1303 = 1885 

The year when this chap "took the rudder".

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Сеид_Абдулахад-хан

Abdulakhad.thumb.jpg.af46fd1e426486cd8a1dfb6d7d52ad32.jpg

If my memory serves me right the order was established back in 1881.  

I believe this to be a medal of the order and which had one time been enamelled.

More like central medallion from the breast star (made by a local workshop) of lower class that somebody converted into medal. 

3.thumb.jpg.da665d561dd3fa0ef29a8229eba02d24.jpg

Best, 

Nick

Edited by JapanX

• 3 weeks later...

Nick,

Apologies for delay in acknowledging your post - all good stuff for which many thanks.

I believe the star centre and some medals were the same design. 

I attach images of the medals with the original enamel - these were formerly in the collection of Prof. Dr. Gustav Tammann.

Regards,

Owain

00900a00.jpg

00898a00.jpg

00897a00.jpg

00899a00.jpg

00901a00.jpg

00903a00.jpg

00904a00.jpg

These are indeed medals.

"For service and diligence"

3rd grade in silver.

Please note this ornament. 

00897a00.jpg.7813adf3f9956b2fd829b46021d220c0.jpg.9740379d1093130c2e1ee4cbb7e2c564.jpg

We don`t have this ornament on our specimen, different design of central medallion, etc.

img141.jpg.0eb18b261ef5e51b38d2d1fd81bc1d94.jpg.2423d62ef591bf53212a21184eb72b90.jpg

Regards,

Nick