Sorry to bring up the subject of pricing, however 20 years ago I bought the badge shown below for 500 euro.  As it has sat in a draw for since the day it arrived & is no longer in my area of interest I thought that I may as well find it a new home.

On searching my usual "go to" dealers to try get an idea on current pricing I found that none of them had one in stock.  So had to offer it blind & have been offered around 600e to 650e for the badge.   Can someone please tell me if I over paid for the piece 20 years ago or has the prices not moved much in that time?  Or am I being taken for a ride....

Thanks for any opinions

Don

File0834.jpg

File0835.jpg

Posted (edited)

OMG!  Take the 650 euro and run!! 

You purchased this badge during a time that my European friends refer to as the period of "Kriegsabzeichen Mania."  It's when these various 3rd Reich combat badges and clasps were first being extensively discussed online, generating tremendous interest among collectors.  Suddenly, every wide-eyed Tom, Dick and Harry wanted to get in on the act.  Newbie collectors paid absurd sums of money for these things and drove the prices up to ridiculous levels.

I remember Flottenkreigsabzeichen by Schwerin just like yours selling for as much as 900 euro around 2009 or 2010.  Since then, the prices have steadily plummeted back to normal levels. 

Well-known dealer Klaus Butschek, who has a huge international client-base willing to pay top prices for 3rd Reich material, has had a badge just like yours in his inventory priced at 550 euro but he has been unable to sell it for that price. 

https://www.ratisbons.com/shop/new-arrivals/high-seas-fleet-badge-schwerin-wrx1.html 

So like I said, take the money you were offered because it's way more you would get from experienced collectors who follow market-trends and prices closely.     

Edited by Simius Rex
Spelling error

Thank you for your replies.  I really haven't kept up with how prices have moved beit up or down as I very rarely part with anything in my collection.  When I decided to part with a few pieces that were no longer in my area of interest I was taken aback when I was offered a couple of thousand for my Cholm Shield that cost a similar amount to the HSF badge all those years ago & then that the HSF hadn't really changed.  I guess that some items increase in interest & therefore value while others do not.

Thank you again 😎

Don

Posted (edited)

We talk about "Prices" for militaria but what does that really mean?  The "Price" is determined by a group of buyers a seller manages to attract or reach, coupled with the desirability and/or rarity of the item(s) as perceived by those buyers.

Ebay is a good example of this phenomenon.  There are buyers who shop almost exclusively on eBay for their militaria.  The hammer prices end-up being simply baffling... either crazy-high or crazy-low. 

This recently ended auction for 2 ho-hum ribbon bars and a worn-out TDA25 illustrates this point.  The seller reached a market willing to pay an absurd price because this kind of material hardly ever appears on eBay.  Alternatively, if a seller were to offer this group to experienced collectors at this same price, he'd be labeled as delusional.  

So the vocabulary word of the day is... "Arbitrage."     

eBay Auction.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex

I remember selling off my 4 Kriegsmarine Ehrentafelspange about 22-23 years ago... I would probably get less for them today... however... back then noone was paying EUR1000 for a rare 1939 EK2 !!!

I think 650 euro is a decent price.

Just looked at a couple of examples for sale on a friends' Canadian website.

Both are in similar condition to the one above and are selling for 595-655 USD.

he had another nice boxed example that was going for 1190.00 USD.

Cheers,Martin.