News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Steady Eddie: What are his gongs?

Using Great Dane's conjecture, it's:

1. Order of the Bath

2. Order of the Star of India

3. Order of St George and St. Michael

4. Victorian Order

5. Order of the Indian Empire

6. Order of St. Vladimir

7. Order of Dannebrog (silver merit cross)

8. Order of the Redeemer

9. ?

10. Austrian 'Marianerkreuz'

11. Hessian Order of Philip the Magnanimous

12. Saxe-Ernestine House Order

13. 2nd Empire Medaille Militaire

14. French Red Cross 1870-1871

So...the trick is #9   Are the points on the cross arms 'beveled', not sharp? That would narrow it down.

Edited by filfoster

• Replies 69
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This site shows one (second photo) with the red cross on the upper cross arm:

Order of the Crown (Prussia) | Military Wiki | Fandom (wikia.org)

In the above photo it is on the 3rd class order. I can't tell if this specific one is original, but it will give you an idea of what it looks like...

Edited by Great Dane

If his Medalile Militare is pre 1870 is it for a state visit of his mother to France in 1855 or 1868?

I thought later but if it is attributed to him in the Royal Collection then I stand corrected...\

This is a very interesting subject and because it is royalty we must not expect normal regulations will apply.

4 hours ago, jimn said:

If his Medalile Militare is pre 1870 is it for a state visit of his mother to France in 1855 or 1868?

I thought later but if it is attributed to him in the Royal Collection then I stand corrected...\

This is a very interesting subject and because it is royalty we must not expect normal regulations will apply.

Hi its definately his from the royal collection with attribution, no indication as to why he received it to my knowledge

The Imperial version of the Medaille Militaire is certainly a very attractive decoration. I agree he wore the Imperial version. We need clearer pictures I am searching as well.  Eddie seems to have had many versions of his medal bar!!!  

I saw a "short" one .worn as KIng  with only British awards.

Bath/Star of India/St Michael and St George/Indian Empire/Victorian Order/1887 Jubilee with 1897 clasp/Volunteer Decoration/Imperial Service Order.  Court mounted British style. Which is the correct order of wear from 1904.

Hello again

I was wondering if access to Drebetts and Burke's Peerage (in this period) would provide any information about Eddies awards esp foreign?  Just a thought .

12 hours ago, jimn said:

The Imperial version of the Medaille Militaire is certainly a very attractive decoration. I agree he wore the Imperial version. We need clearer pictures I am searching as well.  Eddie seems to have had many versions of his medal bar!!!  

I saw a "short" one .worn as KIng  with only British awards.

Bath/Star of India/St Michael and St George/Indian Empire/Victorian Order/1887 Jubilee with 1897 clasp/Volunteer Decoration/Imperial Service Order.  Court mounted British style. Which is the correct order of wear from 1904.

Yes as king he tended to wear bars composed of mainly or exclusively british, his son King George v also wore bars with foreign (german) awards, but those also disappeared with the start of ww1 (understandibly i suppose) 

Edited by Alex K

Same bar, different photo, i think it is s seho 

of wales.JPG

It appears to have a special monogram on the upper arm similar to the e grand cross, collar, credit rct, this grand cross is with swords

royal collection trust sax copy.JPG

Edited by Alex K

Thanks for that..great photo...NOW I can see  the Imperial Eagle on the MM..you guys were right. I had assumed it "must " have been a Republican issue.  Now his German awards......

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so now it's:

1. Order of the Bath

4. Victorian Order

6. Order of St. Vladimir

8. Order of the Redeemer

9. Prussian Order of the Crown 3rd Class

On 30/09/2021 at 18:46, filfoster said:

OK, so now it's:

1. Order of the Bath

4. Victorian Order

6. Order of St. Vladimir

8. Order of the Redeemer

9. Prussian Order of the Crown 3rd Class

This about right (for the medal bar in question) i would say but as jimn said, different day, different set-up! 

Edited by Alex K

• 3 weeks later...
    2 hours ago, filfoster said:

I just noticed that the mounting of these medals is in the 'Prussian' style, not the later British Court mounting style. Am I correct?

Yes, still very much sticking to their german roots at that time, his son, george v had medal bars mounted prussian style, until at least ww1

Edited by Alex K

Alex K: Thanks!  I am recreating this medal bar (not easy or cheap, even with the available repros...No one makes a knight's badge Hesse Philip the Magnanimous or monogamous or whatever), so this is an important detail.  I do have a repro post WW1 George V bar in the court style, so this will be nice contrast. 

When did the 'court mounting' style begin for English medal mounting?