News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Steady Eddie: What are his gongs?

Cant confirm specifically but i would assume (for the royals at least) around about the time George v, renounced his german heritage and made other royals give up all their german titles, changed the dynastic name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor, some time around 1917, Britain was at the time at war with Germany! A good survival tactic, me thinks ?

• Replies 69
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@filfoster

When you say 'court mounting', are you referring to just wearing the decorations from straight ribbons, or do you actually mean the mounting method where the gongs are resting (and fixed) on a piece of the straight ribbon?

I believe the latter is what is defined as 'court mounting'.

"...just wearing the decorations from straight ribbons, or do you actually mean the mounting method where the gongs are resting (and fixed) on a piece of the straight ribbon?"

The major feature is the straight ribbon, vice the German method of a folded ribbon.  Whether the medals are fixed or not, isn't the feature I am concentrating on.  I suppose the field marshals' portraits (Wolseley and Roberts) show fixed medals on straight ribbons.

I had not previously noticed that Edward VII's medals were not 'court mounted' (straight ribbons) but instead, on folded, Prussian style mounting.

12 hours ago, filfoster said:

"...just wearing the decorations from straight ribbons, or do you actually mean the mounting method where the gongs are resting (and fixed) on a piece of the straight ribbon?"

The major feature is the straight ribbon, vice the German method of a folded ribbon.  Whether the medals are fixed or not, isn't the feature I am concentrating on.  I suppose the field marshals' portraits (Wolseley and Roberts) show fixed medals on straight ribbons.

I had not previously noticed that Edward VII's medals were not 'court mounted' (straight ribbons) but instead, on folded, Prussian style mounting.

Once again, the folded german style was predominantly used by the royals based on their german ancestry, typically british decorations were worn on straight ribbons as evidenced by many images inckuding during queen Victoria's reign 

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
    On 16/11/2021 at 03:37, jimn said:

Congratulations on a nice job on Eddie's medal bar. 

jimn: Thank you!  It's a lot of stuff to crowd onto a small space. I'd guess his were perhaps smaller medals to allow for that, maybe not.  It was interesting to source many of them and I was lucky to only have to buy three originals.

An impressive result. Congratulations.

I have only one objection... his Dannebrog cross should be the Silver Merit Cross (all silver, no enamel). Awarded as an 'add-on' to his Grand Commander class

It was awarded in 1864, so would be the Christian IX type.

Can someone find a good copy? I have my only original on my Nicholas II bar.

Edited by filfoster
    addition: Sometimes these medal bar projects require the compromise of what's available versus what's perfect. I'm always willing to upgrade/switchout better medals when I can.

5 hours ago, Great Dane said:

Unfortunately I don't know of any copies of the Dannebrog Silver Merit Cross...

A real one will set you back $5-600 if you can find one.

Yes.  I bought the one I have many years ago when they were cheaper.  Maybe someday someone will make a decent copy. It's on Tsar Nicholas II's bar as well, so may be worth the effort for a good repro.

• 7 months later...