News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have never owned a Deumer wound badge and cannot find any good images for comparison. I have some concerns on the lack of details on the reverse of the badge. 

Any opinions on this Deumer Wound Badge i am considering on purchasing?

Thanks in advance

Chuck

DEUMER REV.jpg

DEUMER OBV.jpeg

DEUMER BACKPLATE OBV.jpeg

DEUMER BACKPLATE REV.jpeg

Well, I would be concerned about the blue line on this medal! ? ?.

Okay let's get serious, I would say, that this is not a piece handed ou in WW1. Maybe in the mid 20s or later. This is a question for the experts, but I am pretty sure, that is was not awarded in WW1. There are some pretty good fakes around on this badge as well. 

I've seen 1st Class Iron Cross made in the 30's by Deumer with the same type of clamshell backing. So i assume this would be the same period, and definitely not an award piece from 1918. As their was a period in the 30's (1933-1936) were you could apply for wound badges, and medals were all the rage luxury piece were probably being sold.  

So to clarify my question.  I would ask the question is this piece an origina, or a fake.

thanks, 

chuck 

i think it has all of the characteristics of an original piece, but it is not necessarily an interwar piece, as this type of starburst, clamshell, or 'strahlenschraubsheibe' attachment disc was used during ww2 on all kinds of awards--for example it was used by Deumer, Alois Rettenmaier, and Schauerte & Hoehfeld on wound badges, submarine badges, infantry assault and general assault badges, 1939 and 1914 ek1s, and on 1939 ek1 repeat clasps (spangen). 

Edited by Eric Stahlhut
    ocd

Hi Eric

I referred to the wound badge as a Deumer because that is what the seller listed. I have seen WW II badges with various clamshell backings as you have listed.  Considering what you have written, i would draw the conclusion that this is a period piece from the 30's, or 40's and not a current forgery.

Thank you for comments,

Chuck 

On 24/08/2021 at 22:19, Eric Stahlhut said:

for example it was used by Deumer, Alois Rettenmaier, and Schauerte & Hoehfeld on wound badges

Eric, 

Do you have any examples of wound badges with clamshell back from either company?

Regards,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

It's a moot point as the wound badge is no longer available. However, i did find a nice example of 3 clam shell backs on WW 11 General Assault Badges(orignal article link). Not a collector that period, but it is a good example. Their is a definite difference in the overall appearance of the 3 clam shells on the attached picture in my opinion as stated below. 

General Assault Badge Screwback Clamshell – BACUFFZ

My Opinion of the three clamshells from left to right:

The Schauerte-Hohenfeld seem to have a flat rim unlike the others two makers.

The Deumer seem to have fairly tight ridges as compared to the other two makes.

The Alois Rettenmaier seems to have fairly wide ridges on the clamshell as compared to the other two makers.

P.S. Still have some reservation due to the lack of defined edges unlike many of the stamped badges have on  the back of the wound badge. 

Regards,

Chuck 

Schauerte-Höhfeld-Wilhelm-Deumer-and-Alois-Rettenmaier-backside-300x225.jpg