News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question on NordBat 2 medal

I have a Dutch medal set for service in former Yougoslavia, with the Dutch medal for UN Peace operations, the UN medal UNPROFOR, and a Swedisch medal from Nordbat 2. I have no idea what this last medal was given for, but I suspect it is unofficial. The obverse has the map of Yougoslavia with the words NORDBAT 2 and BA03, the reverse is plain.

If someone has more information on this medal, I will be grateful to receive it.

regards, Pieter

P1050144.JPG

Hi Pieter, it probably was for some sports activity. Never saw it before i'm afraid.

The Danish had a medal for a marching event, I believe called the Dancon March.  Maybe this is something similar. 

On the other hand I found this article:

https://thestrategybridge.org/the-bridge/2017/9/20/trigger-happy-autonomous-and-disobedient-nordbat-2-and-mission-command-in-bosnia

Some insight on Nordbat 2.

Maybe the Dutch wearer was attached to Nordbat 2 and therefore wears proudly his Swedish medal.

Regards 

Herman 

Edited by Herman

Hi Herman, thanks for your comment, it could very well be a marching medal. The set was made up by Van Wielik in The Hague and they used a ribbon that is similar to the Luxembug marching medal.

Interesting story of the NordBat 2. From it I found out that BA 03 on the medal means 3d Battallion.

Will try to search for a list of Dutch military that were attached to NordBat 2, perhaps that can shed more light on the medal.

Regards, Pieter

Hi Pieter,

Good idea to search a bit deeper.

I found this picture via Google search on the Internet.  In the lower left corner is the Nordbat 2 medal.

It looks like van Wielik used the original ribbon for your medal. The other 5 medals are 2 NATO medals and 3 Danish medals perhaps including  a Dancon marching medal?!

As the Dutch group only has three medals and nothing more, I presume the wearer left the Dutch Army quite soon. So perhaps a shorttimer (a BBT pvt or cpl).

Regards 

Herman 

Screenshot_2021-10-31-20-02-25-1.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, it seems that more Dutch military received a Nordbat medal and are proudly wearing it till now.

The enclosed set was posted this summer on the Facebook page of a Dutch medal mounter called King Medals.

Cheers

Herman 

IMG_4780-1.jpg

• 9 months later...
    • 3 months later...

And hi again...... ☺

I can now confirm that this Nordbat medal was given for a marching event. I saw a document discussing this medal. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture. So it is an unofficial medal just like the Danish Dancon marching medals.

Cheers

Herman 

• 3 months later...
    • 1 month later...

According to a Dutch veteran the Nordbat medal was given for a one day marching event organised by this batalion. 

He didn't remember the distance of the march and how many times it was organized. 

Regards

Herman 

On 18/05/2023 at 21:58, Herman said:

According to a Dutch veteran the Nordbat medal was given for a one day marching event organised by this batalion. 

He didn't remember the distance of the march and how many times it was organized. 

Regards

Herman 

interesting