News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Making sense of a Prussian bar with a Bavarian MVO with crown and no swords?

Apart from having the darkest blue that I've ever seen on a BMVK / BMVO ribbon, it's also got a crown device by itself.  I don't really know how to interpret this one.  What are the normal circumstances associated with the crown only version of the MVO?

I assume that the dark blue was a 25 year Prussian DA, but who would have been in a position to have that without an 1897 Centenary?  I suppose it's possible that this was a Prussian who signed up immediately after March 1897, and netted just enough time in service to earn the DA a few months before the Armistice.  Is there some other scenario  that this makes sense for?

IMG_0237.thumb.JPG.d55d2284ee2e317560961e2fbf536ad5.JPG

IMG_0240.thumb.JPG.d3290fa7f12928f3427fb1c199d278ba.JPG

Nice one!

Most likely the Bavarian at the end should have swords, which are not shown here.

The Bav. MVO was never awarded on the war ribbon without swords.

2 scenarions, which I see here;

Reserve / Landwehr / Seewehr Officer at Major-level, with an Landwehr Long Service who did NOT serve active in 1897 to get the Centenary

Or active Officer, MAjor-level as well, entered service just after 1897 and accumulated enough "time in" to get a DA XXV in 1919/1920 at the De-Mobilisation.

I would bet on the 1st scenario.

Best,

Daniel