News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown stamp on K.A.G. EK1

Hi Peter Cornwell,

Happy New Year !

Sometimes the fakers intentionally make additional features

That way they can claim that those items are replicas not fakes

Fakes are to deceive the unsuspected buyers Replicas are fillers for someone collection, who can not get originals for some reasons (affordability, rarity,  and others )

Later reproduction Collector/s Copy Those items are quite questionable, however it is up to the buyer who will decide how much want to spend on such items One has to keep in mind that only handful originals are known/ Also does any one want to have it in their collection and/or for display ..and to have a nice Topic for conversation with their guests

Cheers

Hi Peter

From what  I can see this one is a 1914  Second Class Iron Cross If I am not wrong the stamp on the ring is "KO"

No Idea why this EK is listed as Star of Grand Cross

There are two explanations either the seller has no idea or he is trying to deceive novices

I like the assembly with the lily

If this was a Grand Cross with similar finish it could have been described as one Seler did as :

"This version of the cross was period manufactured as a museum example, also often exhibited during military ceremonies and State anniversaries, as evident from contemporary publications and photos."

Edited by Graf

here's the obverse.

20220101_135307.thumb.jpg.5c027b8c8f2062fd6006191ca966c0de.jpg

i think that when these first came out the story that was attempted to be spun regarding these was that they were kaiserliche marine award pieces or something along those lines, which was a spurious attemp to explain the mark above the hinge. they really blew it when they decided to place the K.A.G. mark under the pin instead of on that nice fat wide pin

20220101_135219.thumb.jpg.5d9c3887038bb34fab5e9bead1e1f5a4.jpg