News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Uniform Identification

Cathy,

Difficult to give you an exact identification but probably serving with one of the Rifle Volunteer Regiments popular in Great Britain during the late Victorian era, a clear, close up of the buttons being worn will probably give us the best chance of a positive identification.

Simon

As you say, not a clear image of the buttons, so it may not be possible to take this much further, however if you have the full name and any service number or Regiment details available of the Man you believe this to be it may be possible to trace which Units he served in.

Regards, Simon.

Hello Simon

Thank you so much for trying to help me

The information I have which is on a Medal is:

W Brown  (William) 

A. H. Corps

Number 1562

I found some information on 'find my past' which says he enlisted in 1860

1871 he was in Canada with the Army

1873 he married in Canada

1877 he came home to England

1881 he was in Natal with the Army

1882 he came home To England

I was hoping to verify the uniform so that I would know he is definitely William Brown

I have done loads of googling trying to find this Corps (says is Army Hospital Corps) which seems that later on became  Army Medical Corps. But I cannot find a uniform that looks like this one

Regards Cathy

Hello Cathy , first of all Mr William Brown enlisted in th Army in 1860 and remained in service until 1881 , a life in the Army. but , in which Regiment or Corp he enlisted ? To enlist in the Army Hospital Corps were required two or three years of previous service and then a probatory period of six months ,once approved you  compromises to serve three years in active and another three in reserve . the uniform on the photo dont fits with any uniform used by either the Medical Staff Corps or the Army Hospital Corps . appears as khaki in colour but not khaki drill , the cuffs , collar and piping on the front of the tunic were probably blue , the same the hungarian knots over the cuffs , over the right one is barely visible the round bage with the Geneva Cross , regarding the buttons , the AHC carried large  buttons gilded and 25mm in diameter 

8 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello Cathy , first of all Mr William Brown enlisted in th Army in 1860 and remained in service until 1881 , a life in the Army. but , in which Regiment or Corp he enlisted ? To enlist in the Army Hospital Corps were required two or three years of previous service and then a probatory period of six months ,once approved you  compromises to serve three years in active and another three in reserve . the uniform on the photo dont fits with any uniform used by either the Medical Staff Corps or the Army Hospital Corps . appears as khaki in colour but not khaki drill , the cuffs , collar and piping on the front of the tunic were probably blue , the same the hungarian knots over the cuffs , over the right one is barely visible the round bage with the Geneva Cross , regarding the buttons , the AHC carried large  buttons gilded and 25mm in diameter 

Hello Bayern,

since you have far better resources and knowledge then me - please have a look on the photos I posted.

Cathy Coomber mentioned Canada till 1877

If you enlarge her photo regarding the Hungarian cuff and also the cut of the uniform would you say that the Uniform and especially the cuff pattern of the  Canadian GRAND 'TRUNK RAILWAY BRIGADE have a strong resemblance?

Even though the button spacing differs.

Blue circle - crossed rifles?

The unit is mentioned in the timeline 1866-72

Regards

v.Perlet

GRAND 'TRUNK RAILWAY BRIGADE a.jpg

GRAND 'TRUNK RAILWAY BRIGADE a.jpg

Edited by v.Perlet

18 hours ago, Cathy Coomber said:

Hello Bayern and v.Perlet

So are you saying that this uniform is not A H Corps or that it maybe 

Regards Cathy

Hello Cathy Coomber,

I agree with Bayern that the uniform on your photo does not resemble that of the Army Hospital Corps

But this does not imply that your great grandfather might not have served in the A H Corps - e.g. after this photo of yours was taken.

So let's see what Bayern might think about the photo I posted. Which might give a lead as to what previous unit he served in, and thus a possible insight towards his career.

Regards

v.Perlet

Edited by v.Perlet

Hello v.Perlet

Thank you so much for your reply

I know my great grandfather definitely served in the A H Corps as we have a medal of his.

But saying that the photo may not be of him

my Grandfather served in the Royal Engineers 8th company 28247. Joined 1894

Could it possibly be him and I have jumped to the conclusion that it is my great grandfather

Regards Cathy

Hello Cathy Coomber,

well, that the photo shows your Grandfather might make good sense - especially in view of "Engineers" and the timeline of the uniform he is wearing.

Viewing the uniform - the Boer war timeline of 1900 jumped straight into my mind, but did not correspond with the timeline forwarded in regards to your Great Grandfather, e.g. Canada 1870 etc.

The Canadian GRAND 'TRUNK RAILWAY BRIGADE consisted mainly of mixed "engineers", artillery and rifle companies/battalions. 

The Hungarian sleeve style embroidery - red circle, resembles that of an engineer company and the "crossed rifles or canons'"?- that of an artillery or rifle detachment marked by the blue circle would support this assumption.

Have you tried to enter your Grandfathers name and data into the database of Engineer companies that served in South Africa? e.g. Royal Engineers, Railway Company, 8th

https://www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/imperial-units/190-royal-engineers?start=20

If you are certain that your Grandfather did not serve in SA during the Boer war - well then this try might well be fruitless.

Till then let's see what far more knowledgeable people on the subject then me, might come up with.

Regards

v.Perlet

Edited by v.Perlet