News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Croix de Guerre issued 1943 - which reverse and ribbon

Michael Johnson

According to his matricule, my cousin Alexandre Verzieux was awarded this medal posthumously in 1943 (killed May 1940).

Which reverse would be most likely: 1939, 1939-1940, or 1939-1945?  Would it have been issued by the Vichy government (Lyon was in Unoccupied France)?  If it was issued by Vichy, I'm assuming it would have the Vichy ribbon, which was forbidden after the Liberation.  I'm assuming that it would have been replaced by the standard ribbon, but would the cross have been replaced?

Thank you,

Michael

Hello Michael,

I would think the Vichy type (1939-1940 reverse) is the more likely to have been awarded. As the recipient was no longer around after France's liberation, I doubt his descendants would have bothered much about replacing the award but, if they did, altering the ribbon would have been sufficient.

Regards,

Hendrik

• 4 weeks later...

not all Vichy awards were cancelled automatically. regulatory legal acts of worms do not say anything about the replacement procedure, but previously, when replacing "1939" with "1939-1940", only the tape was changed.

Decree of the new Government No. 1418 of March 28, 1941 provided, among other things:

Article 1er. — The date of July 1, 1941, the procession of the war in accordance with articles 1er and 2 of the decree of October 4, 1939, assuming and not assuming, as well as the port for quiconque.

until 07.01.1944, the Vichy Military Cross was awarded on a black and green ribbon

Art. 1er. — A la date du 1er juin 1941, la Croix de guerre définie par les articles 1er et 2 du décret du 4 octobre 1939 est supprimée et ne devra plus être portée par quiconque.