News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yugoslav awards serial numbers

For orders made in Yugoslavia that are numbers we can assume that the lower the number the earlier it was awarded (with some deviations but number 170.000 was awarded later than 10.000).

What about the few orders that were made in Soviet union e.g. Order of the partisan star. For example Order of the partisan star II. Class, during the war Soviets made 8500 orders and send them to Titos HQ. From 8500 only 1500 was awarded, but as you have awarding documents stating serial numbers form 250 to 2500 we can assume they were not awarded in the ascending order.

I have in my collection a group of documents form the same person. He was awarded partisan star II. Class no. 2300 in December 44 and another one numbered 870 in may 45. So 5 months later completely different serial number.

I assume that they send different batches form Titos HQ to other countries HQ, and each local HQ or unit started to award its fighters. For example orders numbering 100-200 were send to Serbia and orders 500-600 were send to Slovenia, so we can have order number 121 and order 561 awarded on the same day.

Does any one know any literature or have any information about what serial numbers went to witch country?

I have a PS 2nd class awarded to an officer from Croatia and the number is in the #2,400 range. I also have a PS 2nd class in a #900 range which I'm sure was awarded beacuse of the signs of wear but I sadly don't know the recipient. The highest number I've seen with a document was in the #4,200 range.

Regarding your question, I'm not familiar with any literature regarding the serial numbers and I'm afraid we may never get an answer to it. Maybe one day if the Belgrade archives opened to public and we could research orders and medals by their serial numbers like you can research Soviet awards.

There is a lot that is unknown about the serial numbers and principle of distribution. Especially during the war time.

Plus, there is an overlap between serial numbers of orders produced in USSR and those produced in Yugoslavia.

Order for bravery, produced in USSR is awarded up to the number 13XXX (highest known is 13832), while those produced in Yugoslavia have numbers that start in the 10000 range.

Partisan star, same story. 

There is also one more problem.

Often times, during the war, delivery of orders and medals was delayed.

So, during the ceremony, the order would not be handed to the recepient, they would simply read the document, congratulate the awardee, and issue the order when one was available.

I can find specific witness accounts of such things.