News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

In the nearby thread on City of London Police helmet plates, I posed the question of whether any of the constable helmets had front visor seams. Every photo in that thread, and indeed, most online photos show CoLP helmets without front visor seams. Why?  Did they contract for helmets without these seams or is it random? Is it by era or type of helmet? There are a few photos of these helmets with seams, but there is no explanation. Most seam to be more modern era helmets.

Here are two illustrations: At top, no seam; Bottom photo, see the front visor seam.

images-24.jpeg

images-23.jpeg

Edited by filfoster

The City Police have had contracts with a variety of manufacturers over the years and in some cases the finished product differed slightly. The lack of vent holes in each side of the helmet was, at one time, a hallmark of a City Police helmet. However, in recent years vent holes have been added so that the helmet could conform to British standard specifications. Christy's manufactured helmets with and without centre seams, what they supplied depended upon the specification. As I understand it, the City Police issue two types of helmet. The first is a cork helmet which is not re-enforced and has the one leather chin strap and the second is a rigid plastic shelled re-enforced version which has the "riot" straps fitted. Each officer gets one of each pattern.

Dave.   

1 hour ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

The City Police have had contracts with a variety of manufacturers over the years and in some cases the finished product differed slightly. The lack of vent holes in each side of the helmet was, at one time, a hallmark of a City Police helmet. However, in recent years vent holes have been added so that the helmet could conform to British standard specifications. Christy's manufactured helmets with and without centre seams, what they supplied depended upon the specification. As I understand it, the City Police issue two types of helmet. The first is a cork helmet which is not re-enforced and has the one leather chin strap and the second is a rigid plastic shelled re-enforced version which has the "riot" straps fitted. Each officer gets one of each pattern.

Dave.   

So....the center seam is likely a more modern version. I have both types (not originally City of London helmets). The center seam covering is on the plastic shell; the no-seam covering is on the cork helmet. Both have only the single chin strap.

Edited by filfoster

37 minutes ago, filfoster said:

So....the center seam is likely a more modern version. I have both types (not originally City of London helmets). The center seam covering is on the plastic shell; the no-seam covering is on the cork helmet. Both have only the single chin strap.

The attached photos show a cork Senior Officer ceremonial helmet which dates from the 1950's. As you can see the seam is evident above the helmet plate but does not extend down to the peak. So, the inclusion of a seam may not necessarily be indicative of a modern helmet. As you can see its a complicated subject where there are apparently no hard and fast rules.

Dave.147768156_DSCF0921(2).thumb.JPG.4f5a274c9d7512c2fec0abb8b15fc02c.JPG  

DSCF0920 (2).JPG

16 minutes ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

The attached photos show a cork Senior Officer ceremonial helmet which dates from the 1950's. As you can see the seam is evident above the helmet plate but does not extend down to the peak. So, the inclusion of a seam may not necessarily be indicative of a modern helmet. As you can see its a complicated subject where there are apparently no hard and fast rules.

Dave.147768156_DSCF0921(2).thumb.JPG.4f5a274c9d7512c2fec0abb8b15fc02c.JPG  

DSCF0920 (2).JPG

Thank you, Dave. I suppose I am most curious about the visor seam as it's most noticeable. Most of the City of London helmets to be seen do not have the center visor seam, at least on the older helmets.