News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Argentine Order of May

GODISHIGH,

Looks good to me.  I recently moved and all of my collection is in storage so I can not post my "ORDEN DE MAYO AL MÉRITO".  Looks like an older issue to me and not like most of the more recent ones you see for sale that were made in the U.S.A.

Regards,

Gordon

• 3 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Hello Kvart,

The Order of May was created as Order of Merit in 1946, as a wish from President Juan Peron, that's the male figure head in the center, symbol of peronist movement. Juan Peron loose Presidency in 1955, but the decree to modify the Order of Merit, and to transform it in Order of May ( with special division for Army, Navy & Air Force ( for these 3 insignia and ribbon are completely different ), occur only in 1957.

Conrad Adenauer was awrded the 1st Class, but all classes of the 1st Type ( 1946-1957 are scarce )

The Grand Officer breast star, as for all argentinian Order is only 1 insignia ( a breast star ), no Commander, or Officer badge goes with. It's a particularity shared by very few country in the world ( incl Belgium, Zanzibar.....). The 2nd photo is from my collection.

The Commandor ( photo 3 & 4 ) also belongs to me.

In Argentina, there is NO ROSETTE, so the Order on photo 5 & 6 is an Officer ( the Officer is because there is a metal leave suspender between ribbon & badge. On 5th Class this leave suspender does not exist. This is ALSO valid for Order of San Martin

In 1957, when the change of shape of insignia occur, some holder (that are all foreign ), just changed the center to be in accordance with the new regulation. New center was a female head, symbol of the Argentina Republic.

It is interesting to note that when Juan Peron became President again in 1973, then died in 1974, but was succeded by his 3rd wife, who was also his Vice President (till Coup d'Etat by General Videla in 1976 ), the Order of Mayo saw again a change (this time, the shape was not changed), but from 1973 till 1976 the center was NOT any more the female head symbol of the Republic of Argentina, but the male figure head of the peronist movement ( last photo ). Last breast star is also from my collection. In All my life, I never saw a low grade of that type ( 1973-76 ), but that does NOT means they do not exist.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Argentina Order of Merit 1st Type all the Classes.jpeg

Argentina Order of Merit 1946-1957 Grand Officer breast star.jpg

Argentina Order of Merit 1946-1957 Commander 3rd Class obverse.jpg

Argentina Order of Merit 1946-1957 Commander 3rd Class reverse.jpg

Argentina Order of Merit 1946-1957 Officer 4th Class obverse.jpg

Argentina Order of Merit 1946-1957 Officer 4th Class reverse.jpg

Argentina Order of Merit 1957 modified center obverse close-up.jpg

Argentina Order of May Type 2 1973-1977 Grand Officer 2nd Class Breast Star.jpg

Interesting review of the Order.  I'd like to add some pages from a book, published by the Republic of Argentina in 1968, on the regulations from 1957 and 1958.  The pictures are glossy prints pasted onto the pages of the book and suffer from clarity but as an official book it is a useful document.  I acquired it from a rare book seller in South Africa several years ago.

Regards,

Gordon

DSC04755.JPG

DSC04757.JPG

DSC04759.JPG

DSC04760.JPG

DSC04762.JPG

DSC04764.JPG

DSC04767.JPG

DSC04768.JPG

DSC04771.JPG

DSC04773.JPG

DSC04774.JPG

DSC04775.JPG

DSC04777.JPG

DSC04779.JPG

DSC04781.JPG

On 16/09/2023 at 15:15, Megan said:

Fascinating, Emmanuel.

You say that the male head was used 1973-1976, but after 1976 it appears that they reverted to the female head. Do you agree?

Hello Megan,

Yes in the period that follows 1976, Argentina Order of May reverted to the female head center. But insignia made in the late 80ies, 90ies, or even early 2000 were of much lesser quality. You can see red enamel, it's epoxy, white enameled rays much much smaller, and probably epoxy too.

And I know collector always will ask, why is there Order of May ( both breast star and neck badge ), with white rays : "empty"....this I do not have the answer, except that, like it had happened in others countries, when there was no fund, enough, decoration were not completed, yes I know it sounds strange, but I have seen that elswhere.

Regards.

Emmanuel

Argentina Order of May 3rd Type 1977 or 1984 onwards obverse.jpg

Argentina Order of May 3rd Type 1977 or 1984 onwards obverse close up.jpg

Hello Kvart,

The reply is yes, Argentina is one of the very few countries in the world, where the grade of Grand Officer in a National Order in any of the nationals Orders of Argentina is only a breast star : no neck badge or breast star.

Long time ago I had the opportunity to get the breast star of Grand Officer of Military Merit of Argentina awarded to the Deputy of the Chief of Staff of the Belgian Army, it was only a breast star, in its case, where there was space only for a breast star and a miniature lapel badge + the ribbon bar.

Regards.

Emmanuel

• 3 months later...

Recently could buy a first type Grand Cross set, awarded in 1953 by president Juan Peron to an European Foreign Minister. Came in case and together with the award document, signed by Peron

20211207_075216.jpg

20211207_114751.jpg

Edited by pieter1012
    grammer