News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PLEASE HELP WITH GEORGE VI AWARD DOCUMENT!

Dear Forum Members,

I have this document for the 'Military Division of the Order of the British Empire.  Is this an original signature of George VI?  Also, what is the Military Division as opposed to the Civil Division of the OBE?  I am also assuming that this is for the lowest grade of the OBE correct?  I would really appreciate help with these questions from the experts on the OBE decorations and award document.

A world of thanks in advance!

Dave.

OBE doc.jpg

OBE doc2.jpg

OBE doc3.jpg

Edited by stabskapitan

• stabskapitan changed the title to PLEASE HELP WITH GEORGE VI AWARD DOCUMENT!

Very nice, it is honorary award to a USAF Officer, as US serviceman he could not officially use the title OBE. A rare and intresting document, you could purchase a type 2 OBE for about £150 which would go nicely with tbe award document.

Best.

P

A good start to answering your question can be made by visiting this official page and scrolling down to the entry for the Order of the British Empire. 

https://honours.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/about/orders-and-medals/

As it states, the Order is awarded in either the Military or Civilian division, depending of whether the recipient is in the Armed Forces or not. Both divisions are equivalent in honour.

Your document is for an honorary (because the recipient is not British or from the Commonwealth) Officer of the Order, i.e. the fourth of the five classes of the Order. The ribbon of the Military division has a central stripe, as illustrated on some of the illustrations at the link.

I'm afraid that I don't know whether the signature is facsimile or original. I am sure that others will, however.

Thank you gentlemen for the great information, much appreciated! 

So as I understand it, he could not utilize the title O.B.E after his name (due to not being British or from Commonwealth), but was still awarded the physical medal, yes? And the difference between military and civilian decoration was strictly in the ribbon bar, yes? How would an individual determine a WWII era decoration, the type that would have been awarded to this officer, versus a later (post-WWII) decoration? It would certainly be good to know if the King signed this document, or if his signature was automatically printed on it.

Incidentally, this was also sent to to the officer detailing his receipt of the award associated with his service during the Berlin Airlift. 

Dave.

OBE doc4.jpg

Edited by stabskapitan

It appears to be a facsimile as there are no darker areas that a true ink signature would have with the nib writing over previously made lines. It isn’t uncommon to find facsimile signatures of the sovereign; e.g., condolence letters and welcome-home letters to returned PoWs.  There were/are so many awards and decorations given out that it is unusual to find a document actually signed the King or Queen.

It would look nice to frame the document with the appropriate OBE (GVI).