News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spanish American War 1898 Campaign Medal

peron

Hello to you all...

Recent aquisition... this Spanish American War Campaign Medal.

I would like it to research further...

Is there a medal roll where I can know to who it was given? 

In the rim there is the number 8823.

My very best regards and thanks for any help given...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by peron

There is additional discussion of this medal and several others from the Spanish American War in the thread "US Spanish Campaign Medal-Army 1898", started by muckaroon1960 on 4 February, 2018 on this thread (pg 9 here in "United Sates of America"), There also are 2 other threads about the Spanish American War to check out: "Spanish Campaign Medal-Navy Version" started by Guest Darrell (pg 2 here in "United Sates of America"); and: "HELP with Spanish-American war Cuba medal" started by joabr on 7 July, 2020 with an example of a state infantry medal issued to a member of a state regiment unit (pg 4 here in the "United Sates of America" section). 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

On 06/02/2023 at 03:40, Hendrik said:

Hello Peron,

Charles S. Grant from Iowa City, Iowa would be the recipient of this medal according to the OMSA medal roll website :

http://omsa.org/MedalRolls/US_A_Sp.php

Regards,

Hendrik

Hendrik

The numbers that are traceable and in the OMSA database have a "No." prefix - These were produced by the US Mint and issued after 1908 - The medal in the photograph has a number with no prefix which indicates that it is an untraceable contract manufactured medal from the 1920's - 30's.

That being said Mr. Grant was not the original recipient of this medal.

Bill

Thanks Bill, one learns a bit every day 🙂

However, in the "Call of Duty" John Strandberg writes that about  4,000 unprefixed serial numbered medals were issued to Army personnel ... so maybe not all medals thus numbered will be 1920-30 era manufactured ones ?

Regards,

Hendrik

Edited by Hendrik

Hendrik - I was able to do a little more digging and found some information compiled by the late Tom Neir (OMSA) and your medal falls into the July 10, 1929 contract with the Joseph Mayer Company ( Contract was for medals numbered 8501 to 8846.) These were straight numbered medals - Interesting that this was such a small contract.

This contract was also for Civil War Medals # 801 to 1200 and (1) Philippine Campaign medal #25098

Bill

On 05/02/2023 at 14:12, peron said:

Hello to you all...

Recent aquisition... this Spanish American War Campaign Medal.

I would like it to research further...

Is there a medal roll where I can know to who it was given? 

In the rim there is the number 8823.

My very best regards and thanks for any help given...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Peron - I  found some information compiled by the late Tom Neir (OMSA) and your medal falls into the July 10, 1929 contract with the Joseph Mayer Company ( Contract was for medals numbered 8501 to 8846.) These were straight numbered medals - Interesting that this was such a small contract.

This contract was also for Civil War Medals # 801 to 1200 and (1) Philippine Campaign medal #25098.

Unfortunately the US Army QM Corps stopped recording numbers/issue names in 1925 then they took over medal issues from the US Army Adjutant Generals Office. There are no name associated with the issue of this medal

Bill