News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here are the decorations I have for Generalmajor der Reserve Friedrich Wilhelm "Willi" Dernen (sometimes wrongly Friedrich-Wilhelm; 15 February 1884 – 15 February 1967) ... additions and/or corrections as well as exact dates would be very welcome:

Iron Cross (1914), 2nd and 1st Class

Baden Order of the Zähringer Lion (Orden vom Zähringer Löwen), Knight's Cross 2nd Class with Swords (BZ3b⚔)

Military Karl-Friedrich Merit Order, Knight's Cross on 13 November 1916

Knight's Cross of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern with Swords

Pour le Mérite on 29 August 1918 as Leutnant der Reserve and Leader (Führer) of the 3. Kompanie/2. Badisches Grenadier-Regiment „Kaiser Wilhelm I.“ Nr. 110/28. Infanterie-Division

Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer on 14 January 1935

Wehrmacht Long Service Award (Wehrmacht-Dienstauszeichnung)

Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen

Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939), 2nd and 1st Class

Eastern Front Medal on 30 August 1942

German Cross in Gold on 10 January 1942 as Oberstleutnant z. V. and Commander of the III. Bataillon/Infanterie-Regiment 36

• 3 months later...
    On 11/02/2023 at 21:46, Deutschritter said:

Military Karl-Friedrich Merit Order, Knight's Cross on 13 November 1916

The information on his "Karl Friedrich" is perfectly right, as can be seen here...

Baden Order of the Zähringer Lion (Orden vom Zähringer Löwen), Knight's Cross 2nd Class with Swords (BZ3b⚔)

His "Zähringer Lion" seems to date to mid or late 1915, because it can be found here, within a larger group of awards published in the third quarter of 1915. For the actual award date, you'd have to jump a few pages back: it was awarded August 19, 1915.

Iron Cross (1914), 2nd and 1st Class

Not sure how other German states handled this, and for how long it lasted, but Iron Crosses can be found in Baden sources as well: His EK1 was published in early 1916, see here. The exact date is not given, though... 

:whistle:

Other known award dates:

31.01.1918 Königlich Preußischer Hausorden von Hohenzollern, Ritterkreuz mit Schwertern
    26.06.1940 1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuze 2. Klasse
    25.06.1941 1939 Spange zum Eisernen Kreuze 1. Klasse
    08.11.1941 Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber
    10.01.1942 Deutsches Kreuz in Gold
    20.08.1942 Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen
    07.09.1942 Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42"

He did not have the Wehrmacht Dienstauszeichnung, as he was a reserve officer. From where do you have him receiving the Deutsches Schutzwallehrenzeichen? He is not wearing it in the photo above, which appears to date from 1942 after the award of the DKiG but before the award of the Ostmedaille.

Thank you, Dave! I must have read it somewhere, I wish I knew. But, maybe this derived from the fact, that his III. Bataillon/Infanterie-Regiments 88 was at the Westwall in 1939/40? Some sources have a wound badge (1918) in black. Can you verify this? Once again, thanks! 

IR 88 was transferred to Trier in late 1939, but not everyone who was in theater during the Sitzkrieg received the medal. Unfortunately, the German Army was bad about listing this award. It was not considered a war decoration, so it was not listed in officer Beurteilungen during the war.

He was wounded on 10.11.1914, so yes to the VAs.