News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is this a docks/ports police

I have been sent this postcard to try and identify which force it my be.  The four gentlemen seem to be standing in front of a lifeboat, which makes it coastal.

Enlarging the cap badge, it is a coat of arms, similar to Coventry City.  But the uniforms seem wrong to me for police in the period (1910-1924 at a guess).  Could they be a dock, port or private force?

image.thumb.jpeg.78fd39e8c4446c1c12215a25238cdbde.jpeg

No medal ribbons, no rank badges except the crown on the Superintendent's collar and very little to identify who, when, where.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

image.thumb.jpeg.2f533542ec4474323aa550bc5568dc29.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6bc1fdabb997677c9e85fa4e274ab649.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3f94d143d9169e76d9afd989f324905a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.232a7cebb4b687656c1348ba9f33a738.jpeg

The cap badge is the bullion wire coat of arms of Coventry. I think that they are Coventry bobbies as those bullion wire badges were indeed worn by Senior Officers of Coventry City Police as can be seen in the second image of my badge grouping from there.

Dave.

Coventry City Badges 1.JPG

Coventry City Badges 2.JPG

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

1 hour ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

The cap badge is the bullion wire coat of arms of Coventry. I think that they are Coventry bobbies as those bullion wire badges were indeed worn by Senior Officers of Coventry City Police as can be seen in the second image of my badge grouping from there.

Thanks Dave.  Never seen a lot of those early badges and you are right, they look like the bullion wire cap badges.

Digging further, Coventry City had very strong links with the RNLI pre WWI and I think the person with the crown is Chief Constable Charles Christopher Charsley. 

image.jpeg.d432120e6c3a389a694ba6b53386b6b2.jpeg

I have now contacted RNLI heritage to see if they have information on what may be "Lifeboat Saturday" and where the photo was taken.

On 18/02/2023 at 16:59, Dave Wilkinson said:

Dave.

Coventry City Badges 1.JPG

Coventry City Badges 2.JPG

Thanks for posting Dave! No one else has a collection like you do and we rely on you for these gems!