News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

These are the decorations I have for Karl Ritter von Prager, any additions or corrections would be great:

Jubiläumsmedaille für die bayerische Armee (1905) on 12 March 1905

Order of the Crown (Preußischer Kronenorden), 4th Class on 8 September 1909

Iron Cross (1914), 2nd and 1st Class

Military Merit Order (Bavaria), 4th Class with Swords (BMV4⚔/BM4⚔) on 16 November 1914

Baden Order of the Zähringer Lion (Orden vom Zähringer Löwen), Knight's Cross I. Class (BZ3a) on 2 September 1915

Crown to his Bavarian Military Merit Order, 4th Class with Swords (BMV4mKr⚔/BM4mKr⚔) on 21 December 1915

Bremen Hanseatic Cross (Bremisches Hanseatenkreuz; BH) on 25 October 1916

Military Order of Max Joseph, Knight's Cross (BMJ3) on 30 November 1917

House Order of Hohenzollern, Knight's Cross with Swords on 26 March 1917 (PH3)

Military Merit Order (Bavaria), 3rd Class with Swords (BM3⚔) on 24 April 1917

War Merit Cross (Brunswick), 2nd Class (BrK2) on 12 May 1917

Military Merit Cross (Mecklenburg-Schwerin), 2nd Class (MK2) on 16 June 1917

Lübeck Hanseatic Cross (Lübeckisches Hanseatenkreuz; LüH) on 19 July 1917

Hamburg Hanseatic Cross (Hamburgisches Hanseatenkreuz; HH) on 10 November 1917

Ottoman Empire Gallipoli Star (Eiserner Halbmond; TH) on 10 November 1917

Pour le Mérite on 23 December 1917 as Major and Erster Generalstabsoffizier of the Heeresgruppe "Kronprinz Rupprecht"

Saxon Albert Order (Albrechts-Orden), Knight 1st Class with Swords (SA3a⚔)

Order of Military Merit (Bulgaria), Commander's Cross (BO3)

Bayerisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuze, II. Class for 24 years (BD2)

Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer

Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939), 2nd and 1st Class

Prager IIb.jpg

Edited by Deutschritter

20 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Baden Order of the Zähringer Lion (Orden vom Zähringer Löwen), Knight's Cross I. Class (BZ3a) on 2 September 1915

According to my sources, this was, as one might assume, one "mit Schwertern/with swords", making it a BZ3a⚔.

My best guess: you simply forgot to mention these, given we're talking about a "Great War" award...

:whistle:

Edited by saschaw

1 hour ago, saschaw said:

According to my sources, this was, as one might assume, one "mit Schwertern/with swords", making it a BZ3a⚔.

My best guess: you simply forgot to mention these, given we're talking about a "Great War" award...

:whistle:

Oh yes, I would think so too, especially regarding the date ... BUT, what is strange, the Rangliste 1926 (https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015035971137&view=1up&seq=130&q1=Prager) and 1927 (https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015035971129&view=1up&seq=123&q1=Prager) both have him with (BZ3a) , not (BZ3a⚔) ... might it somehow be a pre-war award and the date 2 September 1915 is his Erlaubnis to wear it?

Well, you don't see actual mistakes in the Ranglisten too often... I should have included my source, the Staats-Anzeiger für das Großherzogtum Baden, 1915 issue, p. 478, right from the start:

prager.jpg

Edited by saschaw

• 1 month later...
    On 20/02/2023 at 23:53, Dave Danner said:

My source beats your source. 😉

Wow, that's so cool! It certainly does, without a doubt. Feeling a bit ashamed I never made it to the archive. Keep in mind, it's a ten-minute walk(!) from where I live... really hope to get more involved in primary sources research soon!

:blush:

Edited by saschaw

23 minutes ago, Dave Danner said:

Even when I'm in Karlsruhe, it's not a 10-minute trip. I usually end up staying at the Ibis in Durlach. Finding a parking place near the archives takes a little time, as well.

Totally get that, and don't even have a car of my own. I sincerely hope I can make myself a bit more useful with phaleristic Baden research in the near future...!

:blush: