News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Have just received this very early unmarked breast eagle... A very nice example of German craftsmanship, this piece is made of brass and then plated in nickel silver.

Metal eagles were worn on the white summer tunic, over the right breast pocket by means of a pin and catch assembly.

Knowing that this particular piece belonged to an officer (Stabszahlmeister Gerhard Oelsch Stab 4. Fsch.-Jg. Div.) I would say that it was privately purchased, an option open to the ?Officer Corps?.

I was lucky enough to be given some information on the officer as well as some photographs of the grouping that the eagle came from.

So, from an ordinary breast eagle, a little help from a friend, we now have a piece with history.

Hi Dave,

Assmann produced a late, hollow zinc version..

Hmm,I have one somewhere in my junk drawer that has a broken pin but it has a small prong at the bottom of the badge...just like the Heer examples.I will try and find it and get a scan posted.I think its going to be another fake John tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Dave

You never know, Bro'.... let the dog see the rabbit.. rolleyes.gif

Added... you beat me to it...

Looks like a cap eagle..

ohmy.gifohmy.gif ...must be for a big head,the eagle is 8.5cm across!!

Edited by Dave B

I've just had a look at my Heer and KM summer tunic breast eagles and none have that sharp prong.Why would it need to be sharp?...it looks like the prongs on the EK2 bars.Hmmm,me thinks its a repro rolleyes.gif

Dave

Edited by Dave B

Cap eagles came in various sizes, but you're right..that is a big one.

Although unmarked, it looks to be an 'Assmann'..

Eeek,I wouldn't like to meet the wearer of that badge in a dark alley....he would be huge :speechless-smiley-004: tongue.gif

Have you seen a Luftwaffe eagle like this before John?

Dave

They're normally around 6.5cm on EM caps.. 8.5cm is the size of the breast eagle. Why yours' is so big? perhaps a copy from a breast eagle with prongs applied?

I'll do a little research and let you know...

Cheers John!

Hello Gentlemen,

Dave,unfortunately your eagle is a copy IMO.

I've pics of this particular eagle I'll post soon.

I think this copy use to have a very thin needle.

I've never seen originals having a prong attached to the swas.

Jos.

Edited by Jos Le Cont