News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"War Welfare Medal" of the Grand Duchy of Hesse

1 hour ago, saschaw said:

I agree this company is charging pretty high prices, sometimes probably too high!

:whistle:

Lovely group though, probably to a Landtag member - and not to a "Reichsrat".

Also, I want to ask you another question. Regarding the "War Welfare Medal" of the Grand Duchy of Hesse, I found through the pictures that sometimes its ribbon color is red, sometimes it is pink, so which color is the correct color? I recently purchased one

post-338-1134852767.jpg.ff89c7c7c2a13353618602d6b528d514.jpgpost-127-1180988980.jpg.9937a12ddb03f7b32b67b6596ccfb65f.jpg

The above two pictures are quoted from the collections of other members of the forum

• 6 months later...
    On 28/07/2022 at 11:48, 1812 Overture said:

Regarding the "War Welfare Medal" of the Grand Duchy of Hesse, I found through the pictures that sometimes its ribbon color is red, sometimes it is pink, so which color is the correct color?

I'm "a bit" late here, sorry! I have seen both ribbons and guess both are correct. Maybe just variations... here's one I sold a few years ago, with a lovely bow-mounted ribbon for a lady:

R02350 - 04034 c2.jpeg

R02350 - 04034 d2.jpeg

Edited by saschaw

• 3 months later...

I'm still not sure which shade is the "right" one, or if indeed only one could be the proper one. Hessenthal and Schreiber (p. 171/172) give the ribbon for both the Ehrenzeichen für Kriegsfürsorge and the Kriegsehrenzeichen as "ponceaurot", with the only annotation that a narrower ribbon was used from early 1918 on, apparently due to the war-related shortages. More purple-ish ribbons, though, have been shown here and here... odd!

:wacky: