News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gebirgsjager Bergmutze

Aloha, been away along time.

Gat a question.

My Uncle was in the Gebirgsjäger pionier Batt 82 in WW2. Regretfully he was KIA during Operation Barbarossa in 1941 just outside Murmansk.

My mother received his Bergmutze. Unfortunately is has been lost to history. I did remove the cap eagle insignia, the roundel, and the Edelweiss early on.

My uncle entered the service in 1938. I have seen many variations of the eagle insignia, however nothing like the one he had. His was the insignia separate from the roundel.

also his Bergmutze was blue grey in color; I have been looking for a replacement cap. I am settling for a good reproduction.

Can anyone thel me about the original cap and the insignia?

Regards

Bill

Uncle Karl.jpg

KAO_cap.jpg

Well, the photos shared has both soldiers appear to wear the combo Eagle and Kokarde along with a clearly visible edelweiss.   These hats appear from time to time. I wouldn't suggest getting a reproduction.   If a hat is a hard thing to display, perhaps you could do something that is a bit easier.   A simple edelweiss, the eagle you shared and any other personal effects you have.  Make a little case.  

Here is a tribute I did to the Mountain troops Gebirgsjäger for some inspiration. 

Best Regards,

JustinGIMG_5146.thumb.jpg.daed74714ef78de48be4d4e3fcfc05fa.jpg

Your display is a very good idea. I just which I had not lost the original cap. Hindsight is 20/20. My mother had a saying - too soon old, too late smart.

On 15/06/2023 at 16:32, 2dresq said:

Well, the photos shared has both soldiers appear to wear the combo Eagle and Kokarde along with a clearly visible edelweiss.   These hats appear from time to time. I wouldn't suggest getting a reproduction.   If a hat is a hard thing to display, perhaps you could do something that is a bit easier.   A simple edelweiss, the eagle you shared and any other personal effects you have.  Make a little case.  

Here is a tribute I did to the Mountain troops Gebirgsjäger for some inspiration. 

Best Regards,

JustinGIMG_5146.thumb.jpg.daed74714ef78de48be4d4e3fcfc05fa.jpg

Nice display