News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New member here

Hi all, my name is Kevin and I am a Vietnam vet having served with the 101st Airborne Division. My collection is very eclectic. I am wondering if anyone can help me research a medal trio to a J Prince? Medals are a 1939/45 Star, zDefense Medal, and a 1939/45 Medal. Number on War medal is 19853.

Thanks and look forward to participating in group.

Kevin

On 10/07/2023 at 17:56, kjfswkr said:

Hi all, my name is Kevin and I am a Vietnam vet having served with the 101st Airborne Division. My collection is very eclectic. I am wondering if anyone can help me research a medal trio to a J Prince? Medals are a 1939/45 Star, zDefense Medal, and a 1939/45 Medal. Number on War medal is 19853.

Thanks and look forward to participating in group.

Kevin

Hi Kevin and welcome.

If the Defence & War Medal are struck in silver, then I would say the recipient is Canadian. If, however, the (named? &) numbered 1939-45 Medal is made of cupro-nickel, the recipient could be an Australian, South African (or even Indian).

See here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Medal_1939–1945

Hope this helps narrow your search.

Edited by ÖSTA

On 15/07/2023 at 17:24, kjfswkr said:

Thanks OSTA, I believe it is the cupro-nickel. I am in the USA and I don't understand how to search British records.

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Neither do I!

To our frustration , having a search of British WW2 medal records is generally still unavailable, I’ve just had a look and seems there are some exceptions.

However it would seem likely the medals you have were not issued to a British serviceman, unless the inscription was done privately after receipt.
    The UK did not name it’s WW2 War & Defence medals or the campaign stars, which is a Damn shame. 

Member states of The British Commonwealth (Empire) did (though likely not all) name them however. They were often produced with different materials too.

Inscriptions normally read…

Number

Rank

Name

Unit

Do yours have more detail than the number and name? 

tony 🍻

On 13/07/2023 at 09:42, Graf said:

Welcome Listing the medals will help

We like pictures and they may hold clues 👍 tony

5 hours ago, Farkas said:

Hi Kevin,

Neither do I!

To our frustration , having a search of British WW2 medal records is generally still unavailable, I’ve just had a look and seems there are some exceptions.

However it would seem likely the medals you have were not issued to a British serviceman, unless the inscription was done privately after receipt.
    The UK did not name it’s WW2 War & Defence medals or the campaign stars, which is a Damn shame. 

Member states of The British Commonwealth (Empire) did (though likely not all) name them however. They were often produced with different materials too.

Inscriptions normally read…

Number

Rank

Name

Unit

Do yours have more detail than the number and name? 

tony 🍻

We like pictures and they may hold clues 👍 tony

Nice work Tony

• 3 weeks later...