News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Would like some help to learn how to find the owner's military history of this medal bar.

I have recently got this beautiful piece, but I have absolutely no experience in terms of tracking down military history, therefore, I would like some help if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have got a name with some help of Daniel Krause and the name is Richard Behrens (Lt Des Res)

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-19 at 23.21.39.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-19 at 23.21.41.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-19 at 23.55.07.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-19 at 23.55.14.jpeg

That is a very interesting medal bar. For a pioneer junior officer to be decorated so highly, he must have been quite the guy. The unofficial award on the end is particularly unusual, as is the award of the Lippe Merit Medal with Swords. A great bar.

I'm sorry to disagree, but in my eyes, this is neither an "interesting" nor a "beautiful" bar: I think it's a modern put-together! Some of the ribbons don't look convincing, and the reverse backing is even worse. In best case, someone re-assembled the bar from one man's single medals... however, I'm not sure if the combination is possible at all. Who would receive such a Schaumburg-Lippe military medal during the Great War? Was it given to junior officers at all? And: with no prior Schaumburg-Lippe cross?!

Also, I saw this group in an auction recently, where it was offered alongside some other "re-creations". One group apparently tried to imitate Hermann Göring's medal bar, but had some technical difficulties as well. If there's any need, I can dig the other ones up again for comparison's sake... again, I'm really sorry for that bad news!

On 24/08/2023 at 23:56, VtwinVince said:

That is a very interesting medal bar. For a pioneer junior officer to be decorated so highly, he must have been quite the guy. The unofficial award on the end is particularly unusual, as is the award of the Lippe Merit Medal with Swords. A great bar.

Thank you, thats why I am trying to dig out a bit more history if possible. And I am here to hope if any fellow collector could hint me where I might found any relevant information, not just this bar, but any other German Awards in the future. :))

19 hours ago, saschaw said:

I'm sorry to disagree, but in my eyes, this is neither an "interesting" nor a "beautiful" bar: I think it's a modern put-together! Some of the ribbons don't look convincing, and the reverse backing is even worse. In best case, someone re-assembled the bar from one man's single medals... however, I'm not sure if the combination is possible at all. Who would receive such a Schaumburg-Lippe military medal during the Great War? Was it given to junior officers at all? And: with no prior Schaumburg-Lippe cross?!

Also, I saw this group in an auction recently, where it was offered alongside some other "re-creations". One group apparently tried to imitate Hermann Göring's medal bar, but had some technical difficulties as well. If there's any need, I can dig the other ones up again for comparison's sake... again, I'm really sorry for that bad news!

Thank you so much for your honest opinion. I am all ears to any sort of criticism and valuable comments. I have faith in this bar and hope to find any history of this piece if someone could point a place for me to work towards.

I would not rule out the possibility of it being put together. As, German awards, unlike USSR awards, have completed series and traceable records, it is much harder to determine whether the piece is being put together. This is one of the closest possible pieces for me to get to seek for any interesting history (if it is not put together).

In terms of auction, this piece should not be on auction recently, since I got it straight from a fellow collector friend. And he got it quite awhile ago. However, it would be grateful if you could show me the auction. Thanks a lot

3 hours ago, CloudFans said:

And I am here to hope if any fellow collector could hint me where I might found any relevant information, not just this bar, but any other German Awards in the future. :))

Concerning the English-speaking world, you already arrived at the probably best place to be. The combined knowledge here on GMIC, that I'm sure of, beats what any homepage and even the majority of printed specialized literature can offer. Make yourself at home!

2 hours ago, CloudFans said:

In terms of auction, this piece should not be on auction recently, since I got it straight from a fellow collector friend. And he got it quite awhile ago. However, it would be grateful if you could show me the auction. Thanks a lot

Only recently I stumbled upon the auction, but in fact, it has been almost two years. The group sold in Bonhams of London 5 October 2021 sale. I took the liberty to add their pictures to this thread, so VtwinVince's request for better pictures might already be met.

Bonhams, Herbst 2021  £1,020.-  a.jpg

Bonhams, Herbst 2021  £1,020.-  b.jpeg

Bonhams, Herbst 2021  £1,020.-  c.jpeg

Bonhams, Herbst 2021  £1,020.-  d.jpeg

Bonhams, Herbst 2021  £1,020.-  e.jpeg

Bonhams, Herbst 2021  £1,020.-  f.jpeg

Bonhams, Herbst 2021  £1,020.-  g.jpeg

On 27/08/2023 at 20:55, saschaw said:

Also, I saw this group in an auction recently, where it was offered alongside some other "re-creations".

For the record, here's one of the other problematic groups from the very same auction. Nonsense-combination, and partly fake ribbons:

Bonhams, Herbst 2021  £456.-  a.jpg

Bonhams, Herbst 2021  £456.-  b.jpeg

Edited by saschaw

Hello All,

I will check my listing of HHO RK mit Schwertern recipients (1914-1918) to see if a Leutnant Behrens is listed.  I like his 238. Infanterie-Division Bravery Medal.  These pieces are very much under-appreciated.  I wonder what the markings are (if any) on the HHO RK mit Schwertern?

Best regards,

On 29/08/2023 at 17:43, Schießplatzmeister said:

I like his 238. Infanterie-Division Bravery Medal.  These pieces are very much under-appreciated.

While I still have doubts about the group as such, I couldn't agree more!

:beer: