News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Finnish Group - Holder Identification

Gentlemen,

From a dealer sale of some years ago - not mine I hasten to add.

My specific interest is in the Jordanian Gratitude Medal of 1970. Awarded by Jordan to those who took part in the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Mission after the black September civil war. I believe the Nordic countries sent NGO's not military medical units. The UK military medical team went in civilian clothes as member of the British Red Cross.

“By 28 September the National Societies of the following countries had sent or promised relief in the form of medical supplies, foodstuffs, vehicles, blood plasma, dressing material, surgical instruments, blankets, clothing and cash: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Finland, France, German Federal Republic, Great Britain, Italy, Kuwait, Lebanon, Morocco, New Zealand, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and Yugoslavia. Several governments and charitable organizations also announced contributions. ----- At the ICRC’s request a number of national societies sent or promised medical teams to Jordan to work under the flag of the International Committee. ----- The ICRC accepted British and American government’s offers to send surgical and medical teams to Jordan to work under the sign of the Red Cross in combination with the assistance programme already started by the ICRC.” ICRC Report October 1970.

I have identified the awards, I think, as follows: Cross of Liberty, 3rd Class with Oak Leaves; Cross of Liberty, 3rd Class; Cross of Liberty, 4th Class; Order of the Lion of Finland, Knight 1st Class, 1939-40 Winter War, clasp ‘Karjalan-Kannas’ (Karelian-Isthmus) with Swords; 1941-45 War Medal; 1939-40 Central Karelian Isthmus Cross; 1941-44 Eastern Isthmus Cross; Germany Third Reich - Iron Cross, 2nd Class; Jordan - Gratitude Medal 1970. Is the group original ? I have no idea.

Perhaps the recipient was initially a soldier then after 1945 became an administrator or a doctor. Any ideas? 

Thanks,

Owain

Jordan Red Crescent Group Obverse A.jpg

Jordan Red Crescent Group Reverse A.jpg

9 hours ago, oamotme said:

Gentlemen,

From a dealer sale of some years ago - not mine I hasten to add.

My specific interest is in the Jordanian Gratitude Medal of 1970. Awarded by Jordan to those who took part in the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Mission after the black September civil war. I believe the Nordic countries sent NGO's not military medical units. The UK military medical team went in civilian clothes as member of the British Red Cross.

“By 28 September the National Societies of the following countries had sent or promised relief in the form of medical supplies, foodstuffs, vehicles, blood plasma, dressing material, surgical instruments, blankets, clothing and cash: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Finland, France, German Federal Republic, Great Britain, Italy, Kuwait, Lebanon, Morocco, New Zealand, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and Yugoslavia. Several governments and charitable organizations also announced contributions. ----- At the ICRC’s request a number of national societies sent or promised medical teams to Jordan to work under the flag of the International Committee. ----- The ICRC accepted British and American government’s offers to send surgical and medical teams to Jordan to work under the sign of the Red Cross in combination with the assistance programme already started by the ICRC.” ICRC Report October 1970.

I have identified the awards, I think, as follows: Cross of Liberty, 3rd Class with Oak Leaves; Cross of Liberty, 3rd Class; Cross of Liberty, 4th Class; Order of the Lion of Finland, Knight 1st Class, 1939-40 Winter War, clasp ‘Karjalan-Kannas’ (Karelian-Isthmus) with Swords; 1941-45 War Medal; 1939-40 Central Karelian Isthmus Cross; 1941-44 Eastern Isthmus Cross; Germany Third Reich - Iron Cross, 2nd Class; Jordan - Gratitude Medal 1970. Is the group original ? I have no idea.

Perhaps the recipient was initially a soldier then after 1945 became an administrator or a doctor. Any ideas? 

Thanks,

Owain

Jordan Red Crescent Group Obverse A.jpg

Jordan Red Crescent Group Reverse A.jpg

That is a very interesting group! 

Your identification of the medals are correct and the bar looks original to me. 

I would say that the only way to ID the original owner is to find a roll of the Jordanian medal and go from there. All the other medals are too common. 

As far as I know there are no complete list of iron crosses to finns. My own list has around 500 names so there where a lot of awards made. 

Thanks. I suspect the chance of finding a Jordanian medal roll is near to zero. Some 300 approx UK nationals were presented with the medal - no case or certificate - they were allowed to accept but not to ware. From what limited research I have been able to make the total issue was less than 1,000. Perhaps I should use Google translate and search the Finnish language internet. Owain