News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Grand Officier of Crown order and Swedish Commander 1st Class of Sword order - which insignas?

Kvart

I'm researching this guy, the Norwegian colonel Hans Nicolay E. Ebbing. I know he was made Grand Officier of the Belgian Order of the crown during the royal Belgian state visit til Norway in 1965.

My question is: which insignia would he, as a foreign Grand Officier of the Order of the crown, receive? Would he get only the breast badge of Grand Officier grade? Or said breast badge plus the officier insignia, like in today's French orders? Or would he get the breast star plus the commander's neck badge?

Capture.JPG

He was also made commander first class of the Swedish Order of the Sword. That is the same grade as in the Belgian Order of the crown. I think the Swedish award happened some time between 1968 and 1973, but here I'm not sure. As a foreigner in that period, what insignia of the order would he get? Just this breast star? Or this breast star together with the commander's cross to wear around his neck?

Sverdordenen K1 (8).JPG

2 hours ago, Kvart said:

I'm researching this guy, the Norwegian colonel Hans Nicolay E. Ebbing. I know he was made Grand Officier of the Belgian Order of the crown during the royal Belgian state visit til Norway in 1965.

My question is: which insignia would he, as a foreign Grand Officier of the Order of the crown, receive? Would he get only the breast badge of Grand Officier grade? Or said breast badge plus the officier insignia, like in today's French orders? Or would he get the breast star plus the commander's neck badge?

Capture.JPG

He was also made commander first class of the Swedish Order of the Sword. That is the same grade as in the Belgian Order of the crown. I think the Swedish award happened some time between 1968 and 1973, but here I'm not sure. As a foreigner in that period, what insignia of the order would he get? Just this breast star? Or this breast star together with the commander's cross to wear around his neck?

Sverdordenen K1 (8).JPG

Ebbing received the Commander 1st grade of the Order of the Sword on September 26th 1968. 

So he got both the breast star of the type you show and the neck cross. 

Commander 2nd grade was just the neck cross. 

L26785-D3.jpg

L26785.jpg

L26785-D1.jpg

On 15/09/2023 at 00:42, JohanH said:

Ebbing received the Commander 1st grade of the Order of the Sword on September 26th 1968. 

So he got both the breast star of the type you show and the neck cross. 

Commander 2nd grade was just the neck cross. 

Hi JohanH

If you remember the discussion regarding this Star in the British Section

Regarding the Swedish Order of the Sword:Sir Colin Keppel was awarded the Commander 1st Class in 1908 after a visit of the Swedish Royal family to Britain Does that mean that he was awarded the neck Cross as well. Sadly only the Star was part of the Grouping. Even more sad the Group was split and sold  At least I was lucky to by the Star of the Order of the Sword

Regards

According to the Swedish State Calendar, he was awarded the Commander 1. class i 1908.

image.png.4003693d878ded356383c41b3d2af4fa.png

canvas.png

Hello!

Yes I remember that discussion and yes he would have the neck cross to go with the breast star. 

Since he got it in 1908 it would have been a neck cross in gold. 

While Ebbing should have gotten a gilt cross in 1968. 

3 hours ago, JohanH said:

Hello!

Yes I remember that discussion and yes he would have the neck cross to go with the breast star. 

Since he got it in 1908 it would have been a neck cross in gold. 

While Ebbing should have gotten a gilt cross in 1968. 

Thank you

It could have been like this Grand Cross in Gold

002.jpg

9 hours ago, JohanH said:

Except that it should be a commander’s cross around the neck. Otherwise yes. 

Yes I know It is one of the Europe Orders when the Commander Cross and the Grand Cross are the same size

Cheers