News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello all

I have just received another Miltarpass, apparently to a soldier who died in WW1 as his widow(?) received his Honour Cross for WW1, which is still with its cellophane wrapper. 

Not being a German expert, I have a few questions please.

1) Is it likely that a Miltarpass was handed to next-of-kin for fallen soldiers?

2) I cannot see any mention of his death in the booklet. I have also looked at the German WW1 casualty list and can find some entries for this name, but none from after April 1918, the date of the last entries. I even tried looking up the widow's details in the hope of finding more details about him, but nothing. The pass comes with the original sleeve, but I cannot see any mention of him dying.

3) The handwritten entry for orders/decorations seems to say Kreuz, unless I am mistaken. Could that be an EK2?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Richard

20231102_143757.jpg

motschmann9.jpg

motschmann8.jpg

motschmann7.jpg

motschmann6.jpg

motschmann5.jpg

motchsmann4.jpg

motschmann3.jpg

motschmann2.jpg

motschmann1.jpg

Hi Richard,

If you could provide a detailed image of pages 10 and 11, that would be great. Looks like this guy was released from service and given a pension, not sure why. The Widow's Cross is also a bit of a mystery. Regarding awards, he received 'Keine', or none.

Hi 

Thanks very much - how intriguring! I noted he was in a convalescent company in the 112th so I felt he might have been injured.

I wonder whether the WIdow's Cross is to a relative? Or could perhaps he have died of WW1 injuries after the war, hence the cross?

Here is page 10-11 as requested.

Thanks

Richard

motschmann10.jpg

Edited by Rich

Hello!

That´s strange... I read: "confirmed as pension recipient".

I can´t find any wounds.

The World War Cross of Honour for Widows and Parents was established on 13 July 1934 at the request of Reich President Paul von Hindenburg together with the two other World War Crosses of Honour. It was the first state honour to commemorate the First World War.
    The Cross of Honour of the World War was awarded in 3 variants: Cross for Frontline Combatants, Cross for Veterans, Cross for Survivors (widows and parents). However, only one version could be applied for. The cross was issued by the city administration, police authorities or other state authorities. The cross was issued a total of approx. 10,000,000 times in the 3 types and is therefore not rare. Widows and parents of soldiers who died or were missing in war or captivity were considered survivors. Widows were women whose marriage was concluded before 31 December 1918. Parents also included step-parents and adoptive parents.  The cross for surviving dependants is the least awarded of the three crosses. The ribbon differs from the ribbon of the other two crosses.

His units:

29.12.14: Ersatz-Rekrut, 3.Rekruten-Depot, 1.Ersatz-Bataillon, Inf.Rgt.167

"Nur garnisonsverwendungsfährig" (suitable for garrison use only)

7.9.16-17.9.16: Garnisons-Kompagnie 2, I.Eratz-Bataillon Inf.Rgt.167

17.9.16-26.9.16: ??? hinter der Front

26.9.16-30.1.17: 14./Inf.Rgt.112

30.1.17: 6./Inf.Rgt.112

22.2.17: Hospital (as "ill", not "wounded")

19.4.17: Ersatz-Bataillon, Genesenden-Kompagnie Inf.Rgt.112

15.4.18: discharged to "Landwehr I" as Pensioner and promotion to Gefreiter

For me, the award is not justified

Edited by The Prussian

Thank you both very much for your input. Once again, it is much appreciated. Thanks also for the link to the landesarchiv.

In which case I do wonder whether he died later on from his wounds/illnesses and thus his wife qualified for the widows' cross? I have tried to find his death registered on Ancestry but not found him. 
    Alternatively, perhaps it could be a cross given to the widow of a relative? Too much of a coincidence for them to be together, with the same surname and place of residence.

Richard

I should imagine that would require looking at the original decree surrounding the award, in order to be certain. Is that available in the public domain?

In the case of the British and Commonwealth, for example, soldiers who died of war-related injuries in the years immediately after the war were treated as military deaths and received the usual plaque and scroll in addition to the campaign medals.

Hello!

Because he was ill in hospital, I can´t imagine he died because of any war-trouble.

Another idea:

Young Elsa Meta (last name unknown) lost a close relative in the war (father, brother).

Between 1918 and 1934 she´s got married with this Mr. Motschmann and so she changed her last name. That´s why she owned his military papers.

Unfortunately we can´t see, WHO died in the war, only the recipient of the cross.

BUT maybe we have luck!

Elsa Meta is a rare first name. I checked Ancestry with "Elsa Meta" and "Hohenleuben".

ONE SINGLE MATCH:

Elsa Meta Seidemann (born Oct 11, 1891).

Checking the casualty lists, I´ve found five Seidemann from Gera*, who were k.i.a.

1) Friedrich, k.i.a. 1916 (Pionier-Regiment 19)

2) Max, k.i.a. 1918 (no unit)

3) Otto, k.i.a. 1918 (no unit)

4) Paul, k.i.a. 1916 (Leib-Grenadier-Regiment 8 )

5) Willi, k.i.a. 1915 (Infanterie-Regiment 176)

Totally there are 37 k.i.a. Seidemann in the casualty lists.

* Hohenleuben belonged to Gera, since 1922 to Greiz.

1840 it had 2103 inhabitans, 1947 only 2512. So around 1900 maybe 2200 (just a guess)

Another idea. The mother of Mr. Motschmann received the cross for another killed son and gave it to her daughter-in-law Elsa Meta

There are 12 k.i.a. Motschmann in the casualty lists.

Edited by The Prussian

Andy, that is excellent detective work and very kind of you to take the time to look. I had not thought of that. It could well be she (re)married the surviving Mr Motschmann and hence the Cross was in her new married name 

It is such a pity that the certificates did not bear the name of the person in whose name they were awarded.

Best regards

Richard