News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Leopold Siemens - Order of the Rising Sun; Bernhard Rogge - Order of the Sacred Treasure 1936

Kriegsmarine Admiral

Hello,

In an article on German-Japanese relations (see the 1st photo below) I found the information that Leopold Siemens, the Commandant of the light cruiser "Karlsruhe", was awarded the Japanese Order of the Rising Sun sometime in March 1936, during the visit of the "Karlsruhe" to Japan.

Since the article does not specify the exact class he was awarded, I wondered if anyone here would be able to find it and help me? Also the exact award date?

I would also be interested in the exact class and award date of the Order of the Sacred Treasure that was awarded to Bernhard Rogge, the First Officer of the "Karlsruhe". Right now, based on the fact that he was wearing it on his medal bar post-war, I concluded he was awarded the 5th class (Knight 1st class). But perhaps this is incorrect. See the 2nd photo below.

Siemens, Rogge.jpg

Here is the photo of Bernhard Rogge's medal bar.

What is the class of the Order of the Sacred Treasure: 4th class (Officer's Cross) or 5th class (Knight 1st class)?

Rogge.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

4th class without rosette /see attached photo - badge is completely gilded/.

image.jpeg.979f4302e564ecdf1f8ca784079c6b79.jpeg

But the real mystery is not the class but era of award. This 4th class badge belong to a much earlier time period (Meiji/early Taisho era) than 1936. How this badge got into the Rogge's medal bar is a mystery. 

image.jpeg.435120fb985c09a6099a4b9e38a7c536.jpeg

Edited by JapanX

10 minutes ago, JapanX said:

4th class without rosette /see attached photo - badge is completely gilded/.

image.jpeg.979f4302e564ecdf1f8ca784079c6b79.jpeg

But the real mystery is not class but era of awarding. This 4th class badge belong to a much earlier time period (Meiji/early Taisho era) than 1936. How this badge got into the Rogge's medal bar is a mystery. 

image.jpeg.435120fb985c09a6099a4b9e38a7c536.jpeg

Thank you!

Seeing how Rogge was awarded the 4th class of the Order of the Sacred Treasure, do you think Leopold Siemens was awarded the 3rd or 4th class of the Order of the Rising Sun?