News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2 Belgian medals unknown to me: likely WW2 Veteran Cross + Civilian Trade & Industry Award

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I want to bring forward a question on below two Belgian medals: is someone familiar with these?

The cross on the left belonged to a Soldier of the Cyclists who fought on the WW2 campaign of 10.05.1940 till 28.05.1940 and became a prisoner of the Germans from 29.05.1940 till 10.06.1940.

I believe it is likely a WW2 veteran cross, but hopefully someone can tell me exactly what it is.

The medal on the right is likely a civilian medal for  due to the symbols present: the helmet of Hermes and a factory.

But again, I do not know who issued it.

Hope someone can help.

Greetings,

Christiaan

(NOTE: Sorry, but I don't get the picture the right side up)

Belgian Medals.jpg

Hello Veltro and speedytop,

the medal on the right is : Medal for liberal union membership. 

The other one on the left is probably a medal for a veterans association, a non official award.

Greetings,

Werner 

image.thumb.jpeg.189f35157abcecbcf0e452e6702290e8.jpeg

Some examples: Medal for Liberal Union Membership.

Edited by revolutie1830

Dear Werner,

Thank you for your reply. At least one is compleetly clear now!

On the Medal for liberal union membership; I see 3 different examples on your picture. Can I presume, there is Gold, Silver and Bronze class, or only 1st Class (Gold) and 2nd Class (Silver) as middle and right examples are different variants from silver.

I expected the one on the left to be indeed a Veterans Cross, but maybe someone knows which group.

@speedytop; thank you for the picture adaptation.

Greetings,

Christiaan

• 3 weeks later...

Nice topic and nice to see that even our unofficial medals are discussed by Russian collectors. The 2nd shown medal (FVA-VVW) I haven't even seen before. Still it would have been nice if they gave the source of their info.

The first medal looks correct (FNVG - Fédération (Royale) Nationale des Volontaires de Guerre) - Can't find when they received the "Royal" title but they have it now.

But the second one (FVA-VVW) I believe should be "Fraternelle des Volantaires de l'Armistice - Verbroedering der Vrijwilligers van den Wapenstilstand" (English: Fraternity of the Volunteers of the Armistice). It would also explains the dates on the cross "11-11-1918 / 28-06-1919". (see: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/304113-help-with-identifying-a-ww1-foreign-medal/)

So I'm still a bit sceptical about the third one. Too bad it doesn't have any initials of the organisation on it, but comments in the topic might gives us a direction to seach 😉.

PS. Since I can't read Russian I'm only making comments on the names of the organizations they give and not the desciption about the medal.

Kind regards,

Vincent