News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A ribbon bar VC attachment.

Hi Gents,

and particularly Steve aka Harry the Mole…

Steve, after reading of your find, the old tailors VC, I found myself paying a little more attention to things that popped up on EBay…

I spotted this 👇

A9E03C02-F1E8-4536-99A5-A2B0D947C977.thumb.jpeg.5588ad6684a426e90cd1a030edbf76d6.jpeg

DAD72D8B-F6AA-447D-BC6B-D3E5AC55EE82.thumb.jpeg.6fe17a4685c40642312a463a00ee448a.jpeg

A cute little VC for attachment to a ribbon bar I guess. It looked ‘older’ to me and it was just a total cost of fiver all in.

Any thoughts Gents?

cheers 

tony 🍻

2 hours ago, cazack said:

nice looking attachment

if the cross was genuine would it not have 2 x holes for it to be able to be attached to the ribbon?

C

Thanks C, 
    &Yes indeed…
    C4D48743-3FB2-4857-8007-B052F1C070A4.thumb.jpeg.3654cfdaf2bcd7d4658b60f490bd5df8.jpeg

That’s partly why I’m wondering if it may be older (did they always have the tiny holes) or may be something else altogether 🤷‍♂️

I’m still looking…

tony 🍻

I would have thought that attachment holes would be the norm - as used on other ribbon attachments, such as rosettes, Mons Star bar, oakleaf... A nice little VC though.

Hey, Tony... keep looking on fleabay, it's surprising what crops up on there. I have another tailors copy VC that I purchased on there about three months back. I'll see if I can get it photographed later today and post it on this thread. Again it is another one that would slip under the radar of many collectors.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Harry the Mole

Here you go... this is what diligent searching can turn up on eBay if you look around enough. But as always, you need to know a little bit about what you are hunting down.

P1030617.thumb.JPG.2d1633985882d1108ebc7ec9119e2072.JPG

Both medals were purchased on eBay. The one on the left is cast in bronze, and the one on the right is bronze coated. Both look the same, but the one on the left is the size of the original with the cross at 36mm wide and 41mm high. The one on the right is 34mm wide and 39mm high.

Other differences are that the one on the left has no visible seams on the sides of the arms of the cross and the mane of the lion is curled. The cross on the right has seams on the sides of the arms of the cross and the lions mane is straighter. The borders of both crosses are also narrower than an original VC, but the medal on the left is of far superior quality of the one on the right.

P1030622.thumb.JPG.8369f16004954a94af18ac9eb16f8db9.JPGP1030621.thumb.JPG.650945e2ba2cb4a577498e96b34c8346.JPG

The cross on the right turns up on eBay quite regularly, and the one on the left - less frequently, and sometimes it is usually poorly cast. But you can drop lucky and get yourself a good tailors copy like the example on the left for next to nothing.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Harry the Mole
    Typo

9 hours ago, Harry the Mole said:

I would have thought that attachment holes would be the norm - as used on other ribbon attachments, such as rosettes, Mons Star bar, oakleaf... A nice little VC though.

Hey, Tony... keep looking on fleabay, it's surprising what crops up on there. I have another tailors copy VC that I purchased on there about three months back. I'll see if I can get it photographed later today and post it on this thread. Again it is another one that would slip under the radar of many collectors.

Cheers,

Steve

hi Steve,

yes you’ve got me looking now 😁 the seller of this little fella sells collectibles rather than being a militaria dealer, my preference when looking for overlooked bargains.

I thought maybe it was from a time they couldn’t, or didn’t, drill such small holes… I’m always the optimist 🤞

or maybe not for a ribbon at all, maybe it was attached to something else.

Anyway, nice to hear it’s a fair looking design as I see now, as you mentioned previously, how crappy looking some of the things out there are.

cheers

tony 🍻

35 minutes ago, Harry the Mole said:

Here you go... this is what diligent searching can turn up on eBay if you look around enough. But as always, you need to know a little bit about what you are hunting down.

P1030617.thumb.JPG.2d1633985882d1108ebc7ec9119e2072.JPG

Both medals were purchased on eBay. The one on the left is cast in bronze, and the one on the right is bronze coated. Both look the same, but the one on the left is the size of the original with the cross at 36mm wide and 41mm high. The one on the right is 34mm wide and 39mm high.

Other differences are that the one on the left has no visible seams on the sides of the arms of the cross and the mane of the lion is curled. The cross on the right has seams on the sides of the arms of the cross and the lions mane is straighter. The borders of both crosses are also narrower than an original VC, but the medal on the left is of far superior quality of the one on the right.

P1030622.thumb.JPG.8369f16004954a94af18ac9eb16f8db9.JPGP1030621.thumb.JPG.650945e2ba2cb4a577498e96b34c8346.JPG

The cross on the right turns up on eBay quite regularly, and the one on the left - less frequently, and sometimes it is usually poorly cast. But you can drop lucky and get yourself a good tailors copy like the example on the left for next to nothing.

Cheers,

Steve

I’ll be coming to you next time I see an interesting one. I saw one or two but it was hard to see past ‘knowing for certain’ they weren’t original.

This one for example 👇

9EA8BC87-311C-4613-B7F0-A1A667BA3166.thumb.png.252a3d0e3f1c223119592afe770de4a8.pngit seemed (to me) like good sharp detail but then even I saw the ring loop is terrible 🤷‍♂️

Now looking at your examples I see it’s nothing like them.  Like I said I may have to start running a few past you for your critique… you never know I may get lucky 🤭

tony 🍻🍻

55 minutes ago, Harry the Mole said:

Steer well clear of that type, they are junk. Often advertised as 'bronze' instead of 'bronze coated'. have a close look at the face of the lion, it is truly dreadful!

Cheers,

Steve

I did, it was stated as repro and was 9 quid.

Be warned, I’ll be DM’ing you if I think I’ve found something worthwhile 😁

Not a problem, I'm always willing to help if I can.

I for got to say... it goes without saying that they are ALL repro's anyway, you won't find a genuine one on fleabay. Your best bet is a tailors copy if you can find one.

• 1 month later...
    On 02/01/2024 at 21:38, Harry the Mole said:

Steer well clear of that type, they are junk. Often advertised as 'bronze' instead of 'bronze coated'. have a close look at the face of the lion, it is truly dreadful!

Cheers,

Steve

i hope this doesn’t offend you too much Steve 🥴 but despite it’s poor detail in places that even I can spot and despite it being coated….  it is a bit different to the other reproductions I’ve seen.

27231F95-E55D-47A1-8AEC-F5A5C73B04EE.thumb.jpeg.39e6e2044663d8e30b414110d346d87d.jpeg

0F66DE72-4F5A-4BED-A9BD-26922317A44E.thumb.jpeg.1101260a6da3eef94b91d76ba65c3b22.jpeg

On 02/01/2024 at 20:34, Harry the Mole said:

the size of the original with the cross at 36mm wide and 41mm high.

It is the right size.

A3995307-06EE-4FC3-800B-06CD015E1151.thumb.jpeg.8ed5635ec504e1436eddb988d5682fa3.jpeg

The lion is wrong on both ends, rear end not on the edge and the main is terrible.

Also poor detail within where the ‘ribbon’ or banner drapes over the arms.

B876C078-765B-41D5-9FCF-80B55FF399E5.thumb.jpeg.81fe1085aedcf8b2615d4cd8b85256b3.jpeg

But I do like , circled in yellow, that the left detail is on the border line but the right point is just inside it.

The other bit I liked is that the word ‘copy’ is in the centre not on the bottom arm.

9C9D5516-7D97-4543-AE4B-0BB51E6088FE.thumb.jpeg.61bebb57f82a793b1c0a343455203e87.jpeg

It’s from a collection that’s been broken up so it’s not brand new
    & though I’ve not seen many, the ones I can find currently do not look like this. 

9 quid… for one that’s different to the others…. I took a punt.  🤷‍♂️

Cheers

tony 🍻

A tony and his money are easily parted 🥴

You cannot grumble at £9. It looks a bit like the ones that some have claimed were made by SPINK in the 1970's. But if you want a really quality copy, give me a PM and I'll fix you up with one.

Cheers,

Steve

42 minutes ago, Harry the Mole said:

You cannot grumble at £9. It looks a bit like the ones that some have claimed were made by SPINK in the 1970's. But if you want a really quality copy, give me a PM and I'll fix you up with one.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks Steve. 👍🍻